Thursday 19 August 2021

Katy did!

Insects in the family Tettigoniidae are commonly called katydids. They eat leaves and grass, and are nocturnal. They are outside in the daytime, however! I guess they don't really sleep. We must have hundreds of them!

 This is a nymph, and it'll shed its exoskeleton and grow larger. They only live a year, with the females depositing eggs in the fall.

This was funny. I was on the deck, and this little nymph walked all along the base of the glass frame. 

katydid from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


 Katydid 

12 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
A sound not heard in these parts from any - though we do have grasshoppers. I miss such sounds. Love that last vid! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

I've heard the name but never recognized them before.

RedPat said...

I would have just thought it was a type of grasshopper. You learn stuff on blogs all the time.

Tom said...

...I haven't seen any, thanks!

Nancy J said...

What a short life, they are so colourful, love that close up photo.

Cloudia said...

Oh how fun to see them. It's clear you delight in them as well, Jenn

Lorrie said...

Such a bright colour. I don't think we have them here.

William Kendall said...

They are interesting critters.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

How amazing and what fun and unusual name! I have not seen them before. Thanks so much for sharing.

-Soma

Christine said...

Neat name.

Rajani Rehana said...

Awesome post

Jeanie said...

These are splendid close-ups, Jenn. And that so reminds me of the children's saying! What lovely nature you observe -- and so well.