Sunday 29 August 2021

Bathroom, bears, rain

I enjoy the self-deprecating humour of fellow bloggers. Here is one for you! OK, two stories. I had two jobs: 1) to clean out the water fountain, it gets icky. 2) to wash the bathroom floor. Everytime I enter the bathroom, I figure I ought to do the floor, leave the room, and promptly forget until I enter the room again! Ah, old age rears its ugly head. 

There were only a couple pieces of toilet paper left. I took the old roll off, and threw it into the cat's water fountain. I meant to chuck it into the garbage. No wonder I'm not playing softball anymore! (Actually, that's because of shin splints at the time, but I digress!)
I should have hurried. You KNOW what happens when toilet paper gets into water!

I didn't want cats drinking toilet paper water. I got on that. The fountain is cleaned, dried, and replaced. floor is done, I finally remembered.

We had a bit of a clean up this month, more a decluttering, last time the girls were here. We sent them home with the bin of Lego, to donate as appropriate. The girls just don't play with it anymore. They read. A lot! 

JB kept three little Lego kits aside, and took them into town to a worker he chats with at the park in the early morning. The man has a son, age 8, and JB thought he'd enjoy them. The son made him a thank you card! Isn't that sweet?!


 🐻SNUGGLE Bears
The latest: bear reading a book about bears! "What Bears Teach Us" It's a great book. The photos are amazing.

Her friends wanted to her to read to them. 

Saturday morning, actual rain! Only 2 mm. It's been a really dry month.


You can see how brown and crunchy the lawn is. I went over it with the tractor the other day. In the shade, it is better. The front garden is toast.

I was so happy to see rain, I snapped photos. The poor false sunflowers are drying out. The phlox is doing well.

I went out to water the cherry tomatoes, and found a visitor. The first photos were at 9:24, the last one 10:54. I rather think it eclosed there. That's a long time for a monarch to stay put. I scoured the plant for the evidence, but couldn't find it.

You can see how the wings aren't quite flat. Eventually, they dried and he flew off! You can tell it is a male, since he has a dot near the bottom of the wing.

 We've still got female hummers. hummingbird  


A 10-point buck! 10-point buck  


The Fox was here in the daytime. 


In the backyard, I spotted the merlin. I found this archived photo of a turkey vulture and the merlin. They are so quick.


They just soar. I'm getting better at filming with my reading glasses on! merlin 


11 comments:

Tom said...

...send any extra rain down to me.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
You have your very own Monarch of the Glen!!! Handsome fellow indeed. And I am so glad your stuffybears know how to read. Education is so important for ALL!!! YAM xx

RedPat said...

We finally got a lot of rain last evening which the trees needed.

Anvilcloud said...

I do that quite a lot. I'll have two things to do or two things in my hand, and I'll put the wrong one where the right one should go. Yes, sometimes it's into the garbage.

Nancy J said...

Plenty of activity, and the Kestrel, was that it screeching?

Jenn Jilks said...

No, Jean, I think that was me! Whistling at the sight.

Red said...

Things are happening in the fall...August.

William Kendall said...

The buck is impressive.

Cloudia said...

Such fabulous nature!

Rajani Rehana said...

Super blog

Angie said...

Jenn - when I saw the title of your post, I thought I was going to see video of bears ... but I will take the fox video as a consolation prize! I laughed out loud at the bears reading about bears - adorable! Our August brought 3 times as much rain as we normally see, but things are still crunchy!