Saturday 14 August 2021

Saturday's Critters

I went outside to check the trailcams and spotted a little garter snake! So cute...


JB went walkies with the girls at Stewart Park in town. They spotted a snapping turtle.

On the trailcam, I found Chad coyote. (The grandies named them Chad!) They really don't like the trailcam light in the dark, and are wary. chad coyote  

  


I was down in the forest Wednesday, and it was really hot and humid. I could hear several birds up in the canopy. The poor videocamera fogged up, since it was inside in the air conditioning.

  

great crested flycatcher 

I wasn't sure the species, as I couldn't see them through the foggy lens. Coming back to the house, I sat down with the video and the BirdNET app, and it identified them for me. Of course. 


The humidity is incredible. You can see it on the video.

goldfish pond 

I've counted 7 frogs in it this week. As the wetland dries up they look for new habitat.

I've let the weeds grow in the backyard. The thistle is coming along. A lot of critters like it. bugs on thistle  


Then, of course, the monarchs on the thistle  . They feed on lots of different flowers, but only lay their eggs on milkweed. 


For more critters, visit: Saturday's Critters # 400. Eileen has hosted 400 now. 

17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,
Neat sightings of the Garter Snake and Snapping Turtle. The trailcam images are cool of the Coyote and the bird songs. The Great-crested Flycatcher is one of my favorite. I think they are pretty birds. Love the frog and pond photos.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend. PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Linda said...

Photography has been a challenge as the lens keeps fogging up, at least it wasn’t my eyesight!

Anvilcloud said...

The critters keep on critttering in the heat.

Tom said...

...I love your Monarch.

Olga said...

This post reminded me that Mike would have also referred to a gartr snake as "cute." When he was in second or third grade he took one into school as a gift for his teacher -- a seriously well-intentioned gift that did not work out so well!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
There are no weeds. Only wildflowers that got lost on their way to the forest! Thankfully, they provide a haven for fellow travellers. YAM xx

Shiju Sugunan said...

Interesting sightings, nice post again!

My latest post:
https://craniumbolts.blogspot.com/2021/08/yet-another-birding-trip-to-saul-kere.html

William Kendall said...

The coyote moves quickly.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That snapping turtle looks like somethings to avoid! Have a good weekend and thanks for sharing these videos!

RedPat said...

The snapper looks quite fierce!

DUTA said...

Nice findings: snake, turtle,coyote, flycatcher, monarch...

DrumMajor said...

Do Canadian turtles have fatter limbs and dinosaur tails? He looks dangerous! Kansas turtles are skinny. Linda in Kansas

Cloudia said...

Hello garter snake 🐍

Kay said...

We don't have milkweeds in Hawaii. Monarchs used to only lay their eggs on crown flower trees. However, we don't seem to have many monarchs anymore. I used to see them all the time. It's sad.

Yvonne said...

I'm always curious enough to play all your videos. Nice to see a Monarch.

Jeanie said...

That flycatcher is gorgeous but I'll pass on the snake, please!

NatureFootstep said...

how cool to see the frog taking a shower. :) I would have loved that.
Teh snake seem to be a beautiful one. I guess it has no venom :)
Love the waterlilies. We did not have many in my area this season so, I miss them.