Monday 9 August 2021

Cinnamon – and the bat

Saturday, Aug. Cinnamon and I went walkies to fetch the trailcam memory cards. He came across this nice pile of leaves and was in ecstasy.  His tail pouffed up, and he opened his mouth to smell it better, then rolled in it. It must be marked by some critter. Cinnamon  

I could tell critters have been out and about. There was a rock turned over. That could have been our bears. They likely went after the bugs in the tree, as this one had the bark ripped off it, and another dead stump was knocked over.


It looks like the turkeys have been bug hunting.

This photo is my buddy, who finally left his pile of leaves, and sat on a rock.  He disappeared at this point. 


I came back on up to the house and began some garden chores. I could hear something, but thought it was up above me. I walked back and forth, looked down, and found a bat stuck in a bucket. I guess it couldn't get lift off. 




You can see the pine tree in the background (below). I walked it over there, and flipped it up into the tree, but it took flight and landed in a nearby tree. It seemed fine. It rested there, then took off into the backyard at great speed.


It was fun in the forest, with the moisture, and the bright green leaves.

"Mummy, wait for meeeee!"
Poison oak

With recent rains, bright green moss.


Cinnamon likes this tree. It's collapsed with all the animals looking for bugs.

It was a foggy day, after the big storm, nearly 11 mm of rain. Last August was quite rainy. 


Grampa went walkies in the morning. He spotted a bunny. 






I processed the raw footage from the trailcams, and found the fawns running back and forth during the thunderstorm. They didn't like it at all.

12 comments:

Tom said...

...I know that bats are beneficial, but they spook me.

RedPat said...

It is interesting that the fawns didn't like the thunder. I agree with them!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
My word... as good as any catnip patch by the looks of that!!! YAM xx

Jeanie said...

Those are some serious teeth on that bat -- I would have been nervous to get too close! But it looks like a great walk.

Anvilcloud said...

You remind me that I, apparently, got poison oak as a kid. IIRC it came back for two more summers.

Cloudia said...

Thanks so much Jen God bless you

Out To Pasture said...

I love watching my bats hunting on a summer evening. Thanks for showing the poison oak. Havn't seen such a plant here but if I do, I'll certainly avoid it.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nothing like a walk in the woods, - but we've had enough rain!

Red said...

Lots of great photos in this post.

William Kendall said...

I find bats fascinating. My aunt would be terrified.

DeniseinVA said...

Cute videos of Cinnamon and the playful fawn. Great photos too. The one of the bat was fascinating. So glad he made it back into the trees with your help. The bunny looking under the fence was cute.

Yvonne said...

I do love the look of that moss. We've had much rain this August, but soggy ground is much better than parched ground, so no complaints. Love watching your videos.