Saturday 7 August 2021

We went shopping!

 Yes, we went out shopping together for the first time since February 2020. I was at the Garden Centre in May [Out shopping with anxiety...], but went alone. We are both double-vaxxed and feel confident that stores are doing their part and enforcing masks. Off we went. 

We didn't preorder, or do mail order. It was good to go for a drive, with a purpose and a goal. I spotted a doe at the side of the road, as well as a buck. They are still growing their antlers for mating season in the fall. 


Also in the wetlands, several great blue herons!


This place had a fire awhile ago. He has rebuilt, though.



We were headed to Westport. Last time we drove through here, they were redoing the asphalt. 

Out the window, you can see the smoke from the Northern Ontario fires. Fires are terrible in British Columbia, as well as Greenville, California📹; Turkey; Greece; Italy. It is just awful what we've done to the planet. 

Someone was having a tree taken down. That's always a relief as fall storms approach.

I decided to try Village Green for a salt grinder. No luck, although JB bought himself a couple of inexpensive hardcover books. The town, as well as the store, was really busy. People were quite happy to shop, though. All wearing masks, and cheerfully squeezing past one another in the store. I was surrounded by primarily white upper middle class shoppers. It was surreal!

JB fetched himself a sorbet ice cream, while I popped into two clothing stores. They were much less busy, but didn't have anything that excited me. 

We tried another store, Rosie Yumski's Fine Foods, and I had success. A new spoon rest, the salt grinder (the old one was broken), and a spatula. Now, the spatula is for applying cream medicines. I learned that from my massage therapist. That way you don't have the smell of Rub A535 on your hands all day!



My thigh and bursitis were really bad, just taking a step up into the stores pulled my quad muscles. I figured it was time to go home. That was enough for our first venture shopping.



Our shopping done, home again! JB asked if I wanted to go for a walk on Foley Mountain [I had the best day ever!], but my bursitis was really bad. I wanted to go home and stretch it as the pain was referring down my leg.

Maybe our new driveway needs lines like this! JB met one of his friends in town, who commented on the new driveway. He said it looked just like the 401 highway!

Here is a nice rock for Rock Girl! I miss the great rocks of central and northern Ontario.

Another hunt camp for sale!

We've so much bog and wetland, providing habitat for critters. It's lovely driving by, except they are going down, as this week and last have been and will be hot in the daytime.


Merkley Rd. is a nice drive, if you don't meet the deranged tourists, or tourist-like people speeding by on narrow roads!
Hay!

We weren't sure about this stuff!

We went along Long Lake Rd., just for posterity. We used to live on Long Lake in Bala.



We were tired, just the emotional stress. I don't know how store owners, staff, and healthcare workers, for example, manage it. I was anxious just shopping. We are worried about a fall wave of COVID, once the kids are back in school. We shall see what happens.

I made us a Patak's chicken stir fry.  Nutmeg snuggled after dinner.

10 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
some life, when a shopping trip becomes like a safari!!! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

We don't shop as such, except I do go in for groceries. Any other stores are pretty quick in-and-outs for necessaries although I guess hey aren't always necessary. :)

Tom said...

...I'm still cautious when I go out.

DUTA said...

I say that about a walk: 'It's good to go for a walk with a purpose and a goal'
Enjoy your new salt grinder, spoon, and spatula!

Kathy G said...

Congratulations on getting out! It sounds like a great time.

RedPat said...

I haven't been in a store except a grocery store, pharmacy and corner store since the pandemic began. I'm still nervous.

Karen said...

What a beautiful drive. Glad you found your salt grinder thingie. Mine has a big crack in it but I'm having problems finding one with metal grinding parts. My partner has real shopping anxiety but I've been doing okay. Now that the college students are starting to arrive in our area the cases are jumping back up again. Not good, not good at all. We are trying to stock up because I see it being an issue again.

William Kendall said...

Nutmeg is glad to have the attention.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Yes, very limited shopping and order as much on line to pick up at the door or have delivered as possible. My new adventure is running with other but still at a good distance in between. No masks for running in this weather but we keep our distances. Easy for me as I am so much slower than most.

Red said...

It's good to et out but it does feel kind of odd.