Monday 23 August 2021

The forest critters

 I really enjoy my trailcams. After my morning workout, I'll go out and fetch the memory cards. It's a nice morning walk. I rush back to my chair, and cross my fingers to see what I'll find.

I often see two coyotes on the trailcams. Usually it is one. This time four in a row passed through.

 

4 coyotes from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

They share the forest with the deer. The fawns are vulnerable, but they know to run like heck with any sound. We lost a fawn on Sunday. Hit by a car. I saw a doe eating leaves as I took the garbage out this morning. Eight or nine crows were preparing to work on the carcass.

I seldom get close to the deer in the forest. If I step on a twig, they are gone in a flash.


doe & twins from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Coyotes cannot take down a healthy deer, but I know they try. These guys have weapons!

 

buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

This pair could be twins from a couple of years ago.

2 bucks from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I was on the back deck and spotted one of them beside the house. I'll bet the other one was nearby, but I didn't bother to bother them.

11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

4 coyotes. cool

RedPat said...

Too bad about the fawn.

Tom said...

...critters galore!

Rain said...

I'm not seeing any coyotes, but I sure hear them. They'll be closer when winter hits. I love my trailcams too, but I rarely see anything other than birds or me walking the dogs lol...I guess they've kind of become more like security cameras! Sad to hear about the fawn though... :(

Red said...

Coyotes will chase an adult deer into a chain link fence. the deer is usually injured badly enough that they can finish it off.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice looking bucks! We rarely see bucks but doe and fawns all the time:)

Jeanie said...

These are really fun, but yes, the fawn. Sigh. I know it's the way of the world but...

Jenn Jilks said...

Our deer can jump 6' fencing, Red. Besides, we don't have any fences around here. We're in the country!!!

Tom said...

...I love to see spider webs at this time of year.

William Kendall said...

They are a treat to see.

NatureFootstep said...

loved the second video with the doe and fawns. Lovely! I was not able to find any at this stage.