Saturday 20 March 2021

Mice Friends, et al

We've had some visitors. This morning there were 18 deer, one loud crow, and three, no FOUR turkeys.  Lots of raccoons, and mice friends. The porcupine is awake, as well. I haven't seen the coyotes in a couple weeks.
This is our front deck. I put up old cedar fence rails to soften the cement. The rails, below the feeder, collect the bird seed. Mice friends like it!
The cats monitor the hole very carefully.

In the night, that's when the action happens. Watch for the mouse eyeballs up on the deck. They disappear as our strange visitor cat, Oregano, approaches! I've used the Ken Burns effect, zooming within the video, to point out the mouse eyes. 
We've lots of deermice. I've found them in the wood duck nesting boxes, in the shed. One year [Mouse tails – Happy endings are good!], they built a nest in my lawn tractor! 
 
The deermice friends were out when Butch came to visit, as well! You can see one of our cats in the window. They are like little cartoon mouse eyeballs, reflecting the light of the trailcam. 
I threw out our decorative corn. Apparently both Butch and the mice like it. Butch and Sundance, and the hole in the wall gang, are pretty snarky with one another. It's a dog-eat-dog world! People manage amazing trailcam tails of bobcats, big bucks, moose, bears, and the like. We've raccoons.

 Then, there are the deer friends.
 
    

MVI_0044.m4v from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

 The turkey's heads are changing colour, in preparation for mating season!

wild turkeys from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


For more critters by Eileen:

Saturday's Critters # 379




We've a lovely few days ahead. I am happy about that. Our 'normal' temperatures are 6 C. and -3 in the night. I know our neighbours are busily making syrup, there are two farm forests nearby. I hope they've done well this year. We shall miss the annual Festival of the Maples.



17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,
I always enjoy seeing your critters. The deer and turkeys are always a treat. The mice are adorable, what a find. Great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your day! Have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Nice candid videos!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

You're having cold temps for this month! I love seeing the deer and your banner is my favorite...I stop there and look at it every time I visit!

Tom said...

...the nice would not be welcomed here!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

You certainly do have lots of great friends paying you a visit, and an eclectic crowd too!

Anvilcloud said...

Enjoy the equinox weekend.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Your yard is full of critter 'yarns'!!! YAM xx

RedPat said...

It is like a free range zoo at your place!

Christine said...

Welcome spring!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That's amazing!! We have mice I think, squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional possum. My wife is feeding an entire ecosystem with her bird food. The birds even manage to eat some of it.

I love your deer.

Nancy J said...

The menagerie of visitors to your home, great entertainment for Oregano and Butch. Soon your days will be warmer, as we cool down. Somewhere north of us it was -1 Celsius yesterday .

Cloudia said...

Aw THANKS, J!

Villrose said...

Oh! I'm not so fond of the neighbours cats around the bird feeders at daytime. But they are welcome at night!
Cool turkeys.

Lowcarb team member said...

A nice lot of critters :)

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

The deer must be quite used to the camera.

NatureFootstep said...

wow, your home was crowded this day. :)
Beautiful deer and tiny, very tiny, mice.
:)

Breathtaking said...

Hello,:=) Aren't mice fun to watch!:=)Lovely little mouse babies in your palm. What's wrong with Raccoons! Wish I could see them! Great post.