Friday 12 March 2021

PART LXXXI: The Process of cancer treatment

Thursday, March 11th 

JB did an online questionnaire the day before. He usually does one there - as he is part of a study. I packed my water, book, laptop, phone. Last time it took about 15 minutes for JB to get through the COVID screening line at the hospital main entrance. 

08:13 – Off we went for the hospital visit. There was rain on the way, but it was quite balmy. It was 9 C. when we arose, and went up to 14 C, again. The rain clouds run north east, so Ottawa, our destination, as well as home, would be getting rain. It's much better than snow, truthfully. 


It was a messy ride in. It was lovely to see several flocks of geese in V formation. During our trips, we've seen this development from the beginning, now it is expanding. They tore down the forest, burned and removed it.


I like the building on Bank. My youngest lives somewhere around here. I think.

9:45 a.m. – Our usual entrance is strictly for staff. We were there in lots of time, so we drove around the campus. The melt water splashing was horrid, typical spring weather. My parking lot off Lynn Lane wasn't cleaned out, so I parked on the street with all the other caregivers/drivers. There are a lot of us. There is no point paying $13 to park, when you don't know how long you'll be, and have to wait in the car due to COVID–19.


I chose my footwear carefully. I didn't think I was leaving the car, so I popped on running shoes for the first time in months. Sadly, I parked over a puddle!

I could have worn my pajamas, I told JB, as I don't see or talk to anyone the whole trip. I did not, however. What if we get into a car accident?!


11:00 a.m. – JB phoned from the hospital for me to pick him up. 

There were so many birds. A kestrel, as I waited at the park. Geese flyovers. Crows. A flock of starlings on the way home. JB grabbed a drive-by shooting, we were so tired though, we did not stop. It would have been cool to see what all were there.


A somewhat aggressive panhandler. Waving and gesticulating. 

We drive home by the mansions along River Road. There was this house for sale: $4,795,000. It's 3 acres on the river. 


The snowmachine trails are shut for the season. We've lost so much of our snow. 


The rivers have a layer of meltwater on top. 


12:45 – We stopped at the end of the drive to empty the mailbox. An eagle! (Archive photo!) 


By the time we arrived home it was 16 C.!!!! Yay, SPRING! 
JB had a nap. They usually inject the needle into his lower hip. Protocols changed, as they had some issues with patients and damage to their sciatic nerve. 


4:00 – I went for a beer run, and saw two swans flying north. I pulled over and watched them. (Archive photo from Narrows Lock!)

5:00 – I ordered dinner, and JB picked it up for us. My shoulders were sore from driving. I have driven little since the pandemic. This was a good long 2-hour drive between leaving, dropping him off and finding parking.

11 comments:

RedPat said...

An early to bed evening , I bet!

Angel charls said...

Wonderful post
really nice
i enjoyed this
For more information go to Paypal Bellen

Anvilcloud said...

That's a long day for your guys. Not fun at all.

Karen said...

Spring has sprung. Don't forget to set your clock on Saturday night.

Tom said...

...Busy day and $4,795,000, wow! Who has that kind of money?

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I haven't dressed up in nearly four months... it's a good thing to do and maybe I ought to give it a go just to make sure I haven't forgotten how!!! We have a return of winter weather at the moment, which doesn't encourage movement. YAM xx

Olga said...

They say cancer can be a full time job. At least there are birds and humor.

William Kendall said...

A long drive. I know that intersection at Bank Street well, but haven't been down around Billings Bridge in months.

Ontario Wanderer said...

I find that I am very nervous driving in town these days. I cannot imagine a 2 hour trip into a large city.

Kay said...

Wow! Two hours of driving? That must have been so exhausting. What a scary time for JB.

Lowcarb team member said...

That is a long drive, and tiring too.

All the best Jan