Tuesday 9 March 2021

My flag, DRS, the deer

 I had a wee issue with my flag. I ended up tying it to the railing. This is Isabelle's wreath from last March Break. It sparkles in the sunshine!



Another cold one. It was -19 when I put out the garbage Monday morning. 
Despite these temperatures, the dratted red squirrel (DRS) has arisen from slumber. The black squirrels, not yet.


Of course, our deer. Zola is hanging in. She dominates the feeder, usually.

On our walkies, Cinnamon and I discovered a clump of deer fur. Somebody had a fight!

I learned, from the research done by Carol, that deer fur is hollow. 

"I knew that deer put on winter overcoats. I didn’t know those hairs are hollow. They insulate, of course. But they also absorb solar heat and transmit it to the undercoat next to the skin."

I love watching them, deer parade, trotting past the tree! We had 25 Monday afternoon.

 
  
The young 'uns are a hoot. The twins are quite playful. deer selfies

 

 

9 comments:

Tom said...

...I just took the christmas wreaths down today, I thought that it was about time.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I just sat with a soppy grin on my face enjoying these vids... more and more your and KB's and others' images are helping to lift the mood. Thank you! YAM xx

Nancy J said...

The ears close up show those wonderful changes in the colour of their fur. Hollow hairs, they are good insulation.Nature is so clever, we humans have to rely on merino long johns and down jackets.

RedPat said...

The deer are wonderful! As is the DRS!

Red said...

Must be very interesting with that many deer around.

William Kendall said...

You wonder what the deer think of the camera.

Anvilcloud said...

I didn't know that about deers' coats.

Angie said...

Jenn - our temperatures have warmed up, much to my dismay. It is only a matter of time before the chipmunks and ground squirrels emerge from hibernation!!! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Lowcarb team member said...

We had quite a few squirrels around today, I know not everyone likes them, but I enjoy watching their antics!
You certainly get a lot of deer.

All the best Jan