Saturday 13 March 2021

For a few days, SPRING!

 Just for a few days. We're back into subzero temperatures today. Yesterday, as I was curating photos, I spotted a pair of red-winged blackbirds. This is a sure sign of spring!

Also, the first vulture, Mar. 12, 2021. They're back. Spring is coming!


I spotted a grackle, as well. They are so lovely!


Here is the river at the end of the driveway. Daisy used to like to play in it! It'll drain soon.

The spring-like weather has been amazing last week. 


There was a lot of snow on the roof. I knew it was going to warm up. 

The south-facing roof melts the fastest. I've checked all the downspouts. They are good to go!

I decided to hook up the eavestrough to the water barrel, just to put some fresh water into the goldfish pond. I don't know if you can see it, but there is a rock in the rear of the pond. On top of that, on top of the snow, was deer poop.


Overnight, the water filled up the pond. When we returned home from our trip to Ottawa, we let the cats out. Cinnamon remembered his froggie friends, and did a serious search for them. Can you spot the deer poop on the rock, now in the foreground?! 
Remember that rock? The snow has gone down this much and the deer poop is on the rock.

It's warm under the trees, I put up the bluebird nesting box on the flag pole. I don't know if it will work this year, or not. They didn't come by in 2020. I found it filled with wasps! [Staining the decks, bluebird nesting box]


I shall open the spigot on the water barrel, as we are headed into subzero weather overnight. I don't want the water to freeze and ruin my water barrel.

The raccoons woke up March 9th, Tuesday.  
 This is likely the last of the deep snow. It's been terrible walking. You can see how the doe stamps her foot down. I do that! Stepping in the mushy snow jars the back somewhat.
  The raccoons came up to the house. Hopefully, they'll clean up the bird seed for me!

For more critters: visit Eileen's 

Saturday Critters # 378

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

It was swell while it lasted, and even today looks bright and cheery, even if the temperatures have reverted somewhat, as we knew they would.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,

It is great your are seeing signs of the spring birds returning. The vultures are here year round. I love hearing the sounds of the Red-winged Blackbirds. Great post and photos.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.! Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for the comment on my post.

Tom said...

...we have lost all of our snow, but it is cold and sunny today.

DUTA said...

In many blogs I come upon the expressions: Spring signs, Spring is coming, Spring is close etc..It probably helps those who live in under zero temperatures, warm up and resist the cold. Well, I'm for everything that helps.

RedPat said...

I saw a vulture this week and have heard the Blackbirds but have not seen them yet! Spring is coming!

William Kendall said...

The birds are ready, even if the weather is not.

Yvonne said...

I always enjoy your videos. I didn't know a grackle could position itself to feed from a tube feeder. Very clever. Their iridescent colors are beautiful.

Kay said...

I love the coloring on the red wing blackbirds.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely to see the birds.

All the best Jan

NatureFootstep said...

nice collection of birdshots and nature. I like how the cat studies it´s reflection. Nice shot!