Friday 26 March 2021

Power Outage!

Wednesday morning began like all the rest. The tulips are rising from their slumber. 

Cinnamon and I went walkies. Where he walked on the ice a few days ago, it's now melted, with green mosses popping all over. 

The frog pond is still frozen, although by the end of the day Thursday, it had melted from the edges to the middle.


The overwintering butterflies were out. I spotted an eastern comma, with the three dots in a row. Also, there was a mourning cloak! The first photo was from this week, the mourning cloak is an archival photo!

 That was an adventure. Wednesday afternoon, JB was out doing a walk, as he does twice a day. I was indoors. The power went off. It came back on. I went outside and was told that he'd heard a low hum, a bang, spotted an orange flash, and then white smoke.


He went around resetting clocks. Then, the power went off again. Then on. Reset clocks! The Hydro map showed who was down and who had some issues. Not many people, less than 20 homes in each occurance.  It was a mystery. We went out to the highway and couldn't see anything. 

I put on my face, eye liner, and makeup to cover up the dark circles under my eyes. Doing a beer run, I saw a Hydro worker so I stopped and asked what was up. He told me that the arm on the hydro pole had broken. They were going to repair it later on. He's a local, as he knows the names of homeowners property near where the arm broke. The poor man, I'm sure they are stopped all the time! 

I made dinner, just in time. Just as we finished, the power went out. With the power out, we've no well pump. Probably a couple of flushes worth of water remains in the well pump tank. 

I had a Zoom meeting later, and emailed the coordinator using my phone.  Handy, that! I thought we might not be up in time for the 7 - 9 p.m. meeting. 

I made dinner, and all was well. Then, everything went down again. We sat and read. I wandered down to the highway. They were working hard to repair the pole. The drivers are awful. Some just zoomed by, pedal to the metal. 

You can see the broken pole in the middle, missing the cross arm:

Next, after lots of traffic,  an ambulance came by (see below).  Still the traffic roared by📹.


Happily, JB had the foresight to gather 8 flashlights. It was so quiet. Darkness fell. We read in peace. I was trying to figure out if I'd be able to wash my face. 

I had emails from Hydro, which I could access from my smartphone, that we'd be back up by 8. We sat and read some more. It finally came back on just before 9. I quickly logged into the Zoom meeting but they were done. 

Overnight we had a lovely thunderstorm. There was hail and wind gusts to the south. 

There is another storm on the way. We anticipate 30 – 40mm rain. Plus lightning. 


In the meantime, our health unit's web page was down most of the day on Thursday. When it finally came back up, we were down from 140 cases, to 125. Neighbouring health units were up. It's not a good sign. 
 

9 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

That must have been frustrating. We were ok. I think you can get fined heavily for speeding through those zones.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
There was an outage here last week - lasted about half an hour. The first one I recall having in at least five years, so not a bad record! I do have lots of candles and a gas hob, and thankful our water is gravity driven... I so often witness drivers seeming to think that the roadside workers of all types are not worth slowing down for. YAM xx

Olga said...

Some tender signs of spring at the beginning of your post. I will focus on that.

Tom said...

...it is windy here, my may loose power!

William Kendall said...

I can't recall a power outage where I live.

Nancy J said...

Too much excitement, the main worry is no running water. Here we would have cold running water, and use the generator for the hot, and to boil a jug. Days without power would be a huge worry, brave men who go out there and mend the poles and wires.

RedPat said...

The power went out here during the night in the midst of all of the rain! Then you have to reset clocks in the morning!

Red said...

Loss of power is extremely annoying particularly when you don't know what is going on.

Far Side of Fifty said...

WE have outages from time to time, usually not very long. You have more Spring than we do!