Thursday 25 March 2021

More tales

 It's been busy, down at the frogpond. I scattered some seeds, since bird feeding season will be over soon. The moths end up in the cans where I store it over the summer. This I have learned!

I spotted my first butterfly of the season. There are a couple of them who overwinter. Species, I mean. This is a compton tortoiseshell, ID'd for me. 

Oregano📹 was back, Mar. 22. 

I managed to look out front, and turn on the light, it shone on Butch Mar 22!

 

 The bears are awake and I will be vigilant. The deer and raccoons are cleaning up under the feeder, where bird seed was scattered. At about 30 seconds in, there was a food fight. They appear quite vicious, but they know the hierarchy. It would appear there are a group of 3 and a group of 2, then an interloper tentatively eased their way in. There were 7 at this point. Butch Mar 22 

  


The little bunny was back! bunny trailcam 
  

 

Note the cat, being watched by the doe! doe cat feeder
  

  

10 comments:

Tom said...

...I have yet to see a butterfly, lucky you!

Olga said...

Tales and tails!

Anvilcloud said...

So much goes on at your place.

William Kendall said...

That doe really does keep a close watch on the cat.

DeniseinVA said...

Fun to see your videos and that pretty butterfly. I didn't realize raccoons could be that scrappy but then I have only had one or two at my feeders at a time and they seem to be from the same family. Always fun to watch.

Karen said...

We've been seeing a few of those butterflies. Thank you for identifying them. I understand they over winter under bark and leaves and such.

Nancy J said...

That was some scrap, guess they all sort out the pecking order. Deer and cat? You have such a variety of animals round, those bears will soon be looking for leftover food too.

RedPat said...

I saw butterflies on Tuesday! It made me happy.

Far Side of Fifty said...

No butterflies here yet. You have lots of Spring activity!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We saw three species of butterfly this week, the early species one might expect - Compton's Tortoiseshell, Eastern Comma and Mourning Cloak, and an Eastern Towhee visited our yard, so spring is not on the way, it is here!