Monday 17 May 2021

It's gardening time!

 Saturday morning, I found out what Butch was up to in the night! She knocked the pump over. JB came in to report it. Cinnamon supervised me. He was quite concerned about the fishies!


And, we're done. I added some fresh water for good measure. 

Saturday at 8 a.m., JB went into the market for some supplies. It was all outdoors. Some of the craftspeople were not there. Town was deserted!


Saturday afternoon I planted the rest of my plants. It is such good therapy! The deep purple petunias have such a scent. 

I totally missed getting a tall spike for this planter. The one from last year is quite dead, by maybe it will do!

I hope the petunias do their thing. I must tape up a couple of holes before I water it next! 

This one looks a bit lame. I usually put a climbing thing in it, I just didn't have the energy to keep on shopping. 




I found this little plant, and spur-of-the-moment picked it up. It's called Lychnis flos-cuculi, "Petite Jenny!" Feel free to giggle! I haven't been 'petite' since gr. 4! 

I picked up zucchini, acorn squash, and spaghetti squash. I totally missed getting pumpkins, which is what I wanted. The perils of shopping with anxiety, I just hightailed it out. The dude was waiting for me to exit the veggie aisle. In hindsight, he only bought 4 tomato plants. If I'd known... These photos are for reference, I suspect the plants won't last long! 

Big news: phoebe has a cowbird egg in her nest. It's illegal to interfere with nature, so I'll leave it be and see what happens. Good thing we have lots of bugs, we will hope for the best outcome.


The gray tree frog was outside singing on the deck. I put the plant out for him. We've gypsy moth caterpillars all over the place. There is lots of food.

I think the robins have finally picked a beam. I noticed the cowbirds flying around. I expect another egg in the robin's nest.

I put together a video of Butch at the frogpond, eating the corn. She's there every few hours or so, noting the time stamp. She's thirsty, too. You can hear the gray tree frogs singing. She's got kits, so she has mouths to feed. I'll look forward to seeing the kits. She was there every couple of hours. 12:34; 13:04; 15:19; 17:01;  Momma Butch  


The crows have been out and about. Good to see them. Crow May 15 



8 comments:

Tom said...

...what a great time of year. I'm having fun playing in the dirt!

RedPat said...

I must admit that I am a bit nervous to go to the plant centre.

Anvilcloud said...

You went full steam ahead with the gardening. I've pulled some weeds and removed suckers from the lilac bush this morning.

Nancy J said...

Your wildlife, love Butch and her pretty face, and the same patch of water to have a drink.Your flowers will bloom for ages, I have red and white petunias, and they have flowered for months now.

Lorrie said...

Love the video of the raccoon. And the wonderful bird song in the background. The sounds of nature can be very soothing.

William Kendall said...

Mama knows she's got it good.

Olga said...

So much to do as your place "springs" to life! It's such a hopeful time of year.

Lowcarb team member said...

Happy gardening...
Great videos.

All the best Jan