Monday 10 May 2021

Spring continues...

 It is springtime. HOPE springs in the greening of the land! It's so good to get outdoors, too.

The 🐣PHOEBE  have FIVE eggs! This is an archive photo, as I don't want to bother them. May 22 they should hatch!

The female rose-breasted grosbeak is back, too. I'll look for the male, although I know I heard him. The house finches, as well.

I noticed a raptor doing a fly-over of where the crow nest lies.

The crows May 7   have been interesting. They've gone silent in the past week. It's been a cold, rainy week, and I wondered if they were sticking to their nest. I finally spotted the pair of them in the backyard. I've posted videos of the one with a small stick stuck in its cheek. (That's what I think it is!) I think that is one of our pair. They've been down at the pond, however.

They'll incubate 16 – 18 days. They'll stay in the nest 20 – 40 days, according to All About Birds!


They are really vigilant. I opened the door very slowly and quietly, and the one took off. The other, if you watch the video, seems to be the one with the wound. crows  


I anticipate monarchs, the milkweed is starting to grow here. The second photo was from 2019. 



I saw a swallowtail in the yard. What a delight!

Do you remember my Lenten Rose? We had snow, it fell over. It's standing tall, now!

It happened again. Somebody knocked it into the water. It is cold water!!!!

I think this is a morel, but I'm letting it lie.

Butch has been busy. He still wants to get into that nesting box!
 


Butch on deck 


The deer   in the meadow, the one day it cleared up! The guidelines say not to have the camera face north, but I've not much choice in trees.


I went walkies in the backyard. I had two cats roaring around with me. My friends! cats and trees  
 


12 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
the critters are an endless delight, is it not? I have been hooked on Swedish TV's Elk Migration live watching. Just listening to the wind and birds and water is so relaxing and then when a critter turns up, it is riveting to watch them just living life! YAM xx

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Love the butterflies! We tried growing milkweed, it did not do well.
Pretty deer video and cute kitties. Have a great day and a happy new week!

RedPat said...

The swallowtail is gorgeous! I'm glad the duck eggs are safe!

Olga said...

Happy Spring!

Christine said...

Beautiful spring photos!

Kay said...

Your swallowtail is so pretty. I love the wing colors.
I haven't seen crows in Chicago area in a long time. We used to have huge crows until the West Nile disease killed so many of them.

Tom said...

...beautiful butterflies, I have only seen a few white cabbage butterflies!

Red said...

If we keep our eyes open spring gives us much to see.

The Furry Gnome said...

Spring is such a wonderful time!

Elizabeth Edwards said...

oh, i love the butterfly views. i try to so hard to get one to land on me ... but it never works ... i guess they are too too jumpy??! have a happy week. take care. ( ;

William Kendall said...

You'd think Butch would give up.

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs here and so good to see the fabulous swallowtail.

All the best Jan