Wednesday 26 May 2021

Hungry crows with mouths to feed

 The crows have hatched, I'm pretty sure. We cannot see the nest, but they are coming and going more frequently. They are at the top of the white pine tree, amongst the needles.

 

I have a story about the crows. It was a cool night and, after a couple of hot days, the doors were open. I could hear the crows. JB mentioned that Nutmeg was on the deck, doing that weird little trembling jaw meow thing that cats do when they see birds. I didn't think too much about it.

I kept hearing the crow, and I believe that the eggs have hatched. I went out on the back deck. I could hear one on the front deck. crow's nest  

Now, I was curious. I went out front, and spotted a dead squirrel on the sidewalk. Looking up, I saw the crow fly off. Hhhmmmm. Nutmeg came in and was locked in the Muskoka Room. I went back outdoors, and put the dead red squirrel onto the edge of the garden stones. I thought I'd take it out into the forest later, where some hungry critter would avail themselves. 


Too late! The crow took it off the stones, and dragged it across the driveway. Warning, the crow is after the carcass! Nothing is wasted. crow food  


I could hear the crow, still, then spotted two. Out front, again, the crow had dragged the squirrel across the driveway, and it was eating. It flew off. I took the carcass into the forest. 

I noticed one crow scare off the kestrel. They have to be vigilant. Setting up the zoom lens, I watched, fascinated, as these two wandered around  the backyard looking for bugs.








It is Gramma Camp - Week 30. 
It has been a good week, shortened by our Monday holiday. They'll be glad to get this school year over. Jos graduates from elementary to high school. Isabelle is working on Gr. 5. They've had their fair share of teachers in virtual school, as they burn out. Keeping in touch with friends has been managed with Zoom meetings. Isabelle does virtual Girl Guides. 

So far, we've had our first vaccines, the parents have, as well. Josephine is scheduled mid-June for her first shot. She's in the 12 – 15-year-old group. 


12 comments:

Tom said...

...crows have been invading my feeder lately!

Christine said...

Predatory crows, scary.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
I have a fondness for the Corvids of the world - and we need the 'clearer-upperers', don't we?! YAM xx

RedPat said...

I had no idea that crows ate everything!

Anvilcloud said...

That's a nice little anecdote about the crows and the squirrel. Danica likes real school well enough, but at this point she is not hoping that they return in June.

DUTA said...

This year has made the girls look more mature.They've had quite an experience, and nobody really knows what lies ahead.

Lorrie said...

Watching nature can provide rather gruesome scenes as well as idyllic ones. So glad you got your first vaccine. Let's get this pandemic over and done with!

Nancy J said...

Life continues for the birds and others out there, your girls are really young ladies now, and after the end of the year I guess they are hoping life might go back to more like normal.

Red said...

Crows are a very intelligent determined species.

Cloudia said...

Crows are tough little geniuses. I have seen them attacking eagles

Angie said...

Jenn - it can be a brutal world, but nothing goes to waste! Fascinating videos!!!

William Kendall said...

Crows are remarkable.