Saturday 22 May 2021

Robins, eggs, crows, Butch

I am so grateful for our critters. There is so much to see and to watch for and I keep track here: 🐣NESTS 2021.  The phoebe should hatch this weekend. The crows on May 24.

Here is our robin's nest, now with TWO eggs, as of Friday. It sits directly below the deck. I put the table and a bathmat overtop, just to protect them. This is where I sit and watch the birds go by.


Near the house, the tree sparrows were getting frisky. This happened 4 or 5 times, and I snagged the last visit on the video. Tree sparrow  

 


I threw some old carrots out down at the trailcam beside the frogpond. The crow had a bit of a play! crow and carrot  

 

The crow won this round! crow and duck  

  


I use the Ken Burns feature of iMovie to zoom in, especially on the trailcam videos. You can see that in a couple of my videos. With my shaky hands (the anxiety has been bad this week: blame COVID–19, health issues, and the bug infestations) iMovie has a feature that allows me to stabilise it. It's really handy!



I zoomed in, to watch the raccoon swimming. It reminds me of caring for my dad, his last night. The place was shut down for the night, I was staying with him, I went into the hall and watched a gentleman in his wheelchair going in and out of other people's rooms, like a Monty Python sketch. Back and forth, silently, in the night time lights of the long-term care home. Butch swims  



We seem to have a resident water snake! water snake 

 


The crows are nesting in the backyard. Not that I've seen the nest. I think incubation began May 7th. Incubation is from 16 - 18 days. Then then stay in the nest another 20 - 40 days.

It was fun to spot two crows  on the dock. One of them in the pack had a stick stuck in its cheek (May 5th  – sticky face). I haven't seen it lately.

 


Apparently, Butch comes as triplets! Butch trio  

 

Thanks to Eileen for hosting Saturday's Critters # 388!

Saturday's Critters # 388


13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Jenn

You do have some great wildlife sightings. That water snake was moving fast. Great collection of videos and photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

Anvilcloud said...

Yes, your critters must add spice to your life.

Tom said...

...butch is a regular!

RedPat said...

You have so many creatures to keep you amused and busy!
The anxiety of everything has hit me this week too. We will all come through this.

Karen said...

Do you suppose that is the litter you had last year?

William Kendall said...

There's something about the comings and goings of raccoons that makes me smile

Red said...

You make your place inviting and are rewarded with lots of visitors. Shaky? Try being 81!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Always fun to see your videos. We had a long black racer go across our trail this week. I don't like snakes but I'm not overly afraid of them either!

Anu said...

Hello.
You live in a great place because nature and animals are all around you.
Thank you for sharing.

Kay said...

It's so amazing to see all the activity you have all around you.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

There are challenges to country living, but you prove with every post that it is all worthwhile.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i love the hair any style u pick. mine is short right now. wish it would a bit ...the hubby probably prefers mine longer ...but i figure i am the one who has to take care of it ... not him. when we are camping i prefer the easy care do. i am a person who wishing that folks would allow others to have whatever hair do they want ... i never judge and i wonder why folks look at others in odd ways .. any who ...that's my 2 cents. ( ;

NatureFootstep said...

I love the little water ponds in the forest. Much goes on there if you stop to look. Loved to see the swimming snake. :)