Monday 31 May 2021

Ducks, Butch, mystery bird

 Everytime I go down to the forest, I'm preparing by wearing long sleeves, taking my videocamera, camera, SD cards to exchange. It's been cold, so I go in the early morning, hoping the bugs are a bit slower! What I keep forgetting is my smart phone with the bird ID app. BirdNET is pretty good, as it knows which birds are in my area (see screenshot, left).

I decided to tape the bird song and see if it worked with the app. It does! I played it on my laptop, and the app read it.

You can tell I couldn't see it at all! Here is the song...  Bird 
 

Do you know what it is?! (answer is below!)

Yam asked if I use lotion on my bug bites. I do. AfterBite. When I remember. Blackfly bites aren't itchy for awhile on me, and I forget to use it. Then, in the night, they ooze, scab, and are itchy. It's too late by then. 



Cinnamon came for walkies.
My barrel is doing well!

I accidentally set the camera on B & W. The phoebes (and cowbird) are doing well. The parents were off sourcing food.

I've been sanding the frame around the garage door. It needs painting. Since my cataract surgery, my eyes are really sensitive. We looked upstairs and down for the goggles, couldn't find them anywhere! (Don't tell the kids!)

I transplanted this bush (Aug., 2019; sputniks and gardening), it is showing signs of recovery! The 2nd photo is what they are supposed to look like... Caitlin's is doing well! Mine was in the wrong location.


I put out the last of the cracked corn. There were visitors! The wood ducks complained about the crow. Such a peculiar, non quacking sound. Crow & ducks  

 


I think they heard me coming! Wood ducks complaining about Butch .

 


The noises are the wood ducks, sneaking around the raccoon. ducks & butch  

 

ANSWER: The bird was identified as a scarlet tanager! 


12 comments:

Tom said...

...Butch is a regular!

Anvilcloud said...

You could google goggles. :)

I tried to get early morning pics of birds in the bath this morning. I donned my winter jacket and gloves, Alas, no bird came. But I could hear the chirping around and about, and that was nice.

Olga said...

I wear long pants, socks, long shirt sleeves and bandanna in the woods anymore -- no matter what the temperature. It's dread fear of tick bites. But my tick bite occurred in an urban garden tour when I was wearing a sun dress and never even thought about ticks.

Christine said...

I guessed robin, wrong!

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

The Scarlet Tanager is one song I do recognize, they are common in the forest around our home.
Those fly bites really hurt. Take care, have a happy day and a great new week!

Nancy J said...

Those ducks really wanted to get what he was eating, and he just carried on.Lovely bird song.

RedPat said...

Those are tough Wood Ducks!

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for letting me know about the bird app. I am always trying to identify birds. Also for the bug bite cream info. Mosquitoes seem to zone in on me. I haven’t had to deal with blackfly and they sound awful! Your bear made me smile. I need all the help I can get with bird song and I learned something today. There's one in the trees right now that I don't recognize. We have had several Eastern Bluebirds visiting since the Cicada invasion :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I've GOT to get that bird app! .... I hate bug bites -- They hurt! I'm such a sensitive flower (yuk) but I don't let them keep me indoors. (Yet I've never had a black fly bite -- they might do me in.) My sad experiences are with chiggers, no-see-ums, mosquitoes and spiders.

The Furry Gnome said...

That's great! Don't see those very often.

William Kendall said...

I spent a couple of minutes the other night talking to a raccoon. He looked at me like I was nuts.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

like you we need to get cameras ... we did smell a skunk last night wondering where he was going and how close to our home he might have been? have a great week. ( ;