Saturday 1 May 2021

Saturday's Critters

I made this for Eileen!
Saturday's Critters # 385

That was a cold one last night! I took out the birdbath heater and I regret it. There is a shim of ice on it. We had 2 cm of snow, prefaced by 25 mm (1") of rain Friday. The rain is fine, but to see the snow...😒

Cinnamon brought home two ticks this week. Isabelle helped me wrangle him the second time. I put them in the jar with rubbing alcohol. We've ordered the anti-tick goop, but it hasn't come in to the vet yet.

Butch is trying to get into the wood duck nesting box. Thank goodness I knew to put up flashing. last year the weasel got another nesting box because a dead tree gave him access. Butch and the wood duck 

  


I put out cracked corn for the ducks. Someone helped himself. frogpond tails 
  


You Two deer  are still getting their summer coats in. I would love to brush them!


We haven't had a house wren nest here in two years. The chickadees used this box once (June 2012). This nest box fell apart after the wrens were done (house wren – 2019). I replaced it with a couple of new ones.


The wren was looking for a place to nest, I think.  I am hoping they nest, as they are comical, and lovely singers. This is through the front window, but if you turn the sound up you can hear him. This was three days ago, and I haven't seen him since. I shall patiently wait to see what happens.

 


The crows  are still nesting in the tree, in the pouring rain. They did a call and answer, with one in the deciduous tree, the other in the white pine tree nest building. The barred owls used to do that.   


The duck pond  had a couple of mallards, but in the first two seconds, you could hear the geese honking as they fled the pond.


I am always happy to see the wood duck  return to the nest box.
 


10 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

It is great to have all your bird houses filled with these cuties. The Wood Duck, Wren and the deer are favorites. I am not a fan of raccoons. Great photos and Videos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, enjoy your weekend! PS, thank you for the visit and comment.

Anvilcloud said...

Poor Butch, lucky duck.

Tom said...

...ticks are nasty.

RedPat said...

There always seems to be something going on at your place!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the pretty bird houses too. You have SO many things to see on your property! Hope it warms back up this weekend. Hugs!

Maria said...

Thanks and praise be at all times to the most holy and most holy sacrament of amen

Nancy J said...

Butch is so determined to get there, thank goodness for the flashing, he will try anything. Love the empty bowl on the deck, a miracle it hasn't been tipped into the water.

William Kendall said...

There's easier grub around than trying to have a go at that bird house, Butch.

Anu said...

Hello. You live in the middle of beautiful nature and you see wonderful animals and birds. Thank you for sharing.

NatureFootstep said...

great videos. Loved to see the little wren. We have a similar one but I rarely see it. :(