Tuesday 25 May 2021

Maggie Magnolia

 

I keep forgetting a out Maggie Magnolia. Someone posted a photo of theirs, and I remembered to go look! There is a complex system to keep the deer out. You can see where they chopped off the main branch, back in the day. We've had windfall, I must get that tree down in the background.

The robins are good, too. She seems to tolerate me, but not too close. She's at 3 eggs, as of 3 p.m. yesterday.



I found a bumble bee in the basement. It was a bit loopy. I imagine it came in through the chimney, just like our bat.




Someone on Twitter suggested "I think the one on top is a Red-shouldered Hawk and the one below is a Red-tailed Hawk."
Who knows?! They were pretty to watch, and didn't seem competitors.

Good news, the phoebes first egg hatched at 9:08 a.m.! phoebe hatches  


The event was almost done by 2:30 p.m.


 

11 comments:

Tom said...

...magnolias are a treat, I just planted a yellow one yesterday.

RedPat said...

Baby birds to watch!

eileeninmd said...

Yay for the baby birds, I love the magnolia blooms.
Have a great day!

Nancy J said...

Magnolias, here the florists use the huge leaves on a shorter stem for their arrangements. The Phoebe, off so quickly, and green grass and leafy trees, your spring is well under way.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Awww, a whole nest of phoebes -- and I would love to ever see just one!! I love visiting your "yard" (which is not enough of a word for all you have!). Lovely tour today.

Cloudia said...

Thank you for sharing your amazing spring with us, Jenn

Red said...

the under the deck nest is novel!

William Kendall said...

The magnolias are pretty.

DeniseinVA said...

Thoroughly enjoyed seeing the bird hatching video. Your magnolias are splendid. The deer like to eat the heads of tulips around here.

Karen said...

It's too late now, but as soon as our first gang fledge we are going to put a mirror up under the roof so we can keep watch too.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

What a great time of the year! And whenever a creature dies the best that can happen is that it finds its way into the food chain, just as nature intended.