Sunday 30 May 2021

Blackflies, fallen tree, LDD

The blackflies and mosquitoes continue... my arms are a mess. You'll read why. I have blistery boils on both my arms. 

I happened to have taken a photo of this tree in March, down in the wetland. It was quite holey!

Lo, and behold, it finally fell over. I fought the bugs, and hauled it out of the way. We've blackflies, as well as mosquitoes. They are wicked biters. I should have gone back to the house for long sleeves. You don't notice them landing, unlike mosquitoes.


Happily, it did not take out the two lady slippers that are in bloom just beyond (in the sunny spot on the left, below).

Have you ever frozen a milk bag? We had extra milk last time when the girls were here. We put it in the milk container and I noticed it was leaking Thursday. Plan B: the blender. Thing was I had to put it out overnight, as it didn't fit into our fridge. It was still there in the morning. This is the morning. We had frost overnight.

Yes, FROST. I thought to bring the cherry tomatoes, but didn't think to cover the squash. They are a wilted mess.

The goldfish are good. They've been joined by two leopard frogs, who seem fine in the sun.


The monarchs have arrived! I saw my first on Saturday. I was examining this milkweed plant. I'm wondering if I should just remove this plant, as it is right on the sidewalk, and will get smucked eventually!


I looked at said milkweed, and realized there was a Lymantria dispar dispar (LDD) moth caterpillars, otherwise known as European gypsy moth caterpillars, on it. ("Gypsy" is politically incorrect, as it is considered a pejorative term. Gypsies, known as Romani or Roma, were called such, as Europeans thought they came from Egypt.)


Some of them have made it to 15 mm, and a couple more intars to go until they reach 38 – 50 mm. They have reached the stage where they have the red dots, and are clearly identified as LDD. (Not that I had any doubt! They are 'flying' all around and under the trees on their gossamer thread. 

They are on the elm trees in the meadow, we'll see how that goes.

7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Oh, you did have frost. Sorry about that.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
... I occasionally deliberately freeze milk - in the freezer - and have never had it expand like that! Very peculiar. Just the normal freeze expansion as occurs with water. Sorry about all those bites. Do you use a lotion on the bites? YAM xx

Tom said...

...they say in the Adirondacks that there two seasons, when the snow flies and the black flies!

Nancy J said...

I have frozen spare milk in the plastic bottles and they swell, and on thawing, trend to sort of curdle. but then I think of the stores down at Scott Base and McMurdo, and realise this must be something they deal with all the time. Bites, hope they subside, and love those furry caterpillars.

William Kendall said...

Blackflies are a pain.

Kay said...

Blackflies? That sounds awful. Mosquitoes are bad enough.
We have very few monarchs now in Hawaii. I saw on our local news that they were giving away monarch butterfly kits to kids.

DeniseinVA said...

Great post, blackflies yak! Mosquitoes are bad enough but those sound even worse.