Sunday 16 May 2021

Out shopping with anxiety...

 That was a beautiful day, Friday. 

The Beer Store

I decided it was time to go into town. I summoned the courage to return wine bottles to The Beer Store around noon. On the way, someone had lost his trailer and hay was in the middle of the road. Right here, where there isn't much road. I felt so badly for him. It was cleaned up when I returned. 


 The Beer Store has a rule about one customer in each for returns and to buy beer. I went in, you cannot see the returns counter from the door. As always they bark at me to go back outside. Sigh. They need a traffic cop. My hands started shaking at that point. I know clerks are having a tough time... but... I made it in and out, my heart beating pretty fast.

Then, a train appeared. Suddenly the traffic was stopped. I just wanted to hustle and get my chores done. You can't get there from here, as the train tracks cut off the north part of town from where I was! There was a long line of cars waiting to proceed. Deep breaths, patience.

Garden Centre

From there, I went to the garden centre. I didn't know what to expect. In previous years, well, COVID–19 last year, they sold out quickly. Cottagers are reportedly coming here, now, with the good weather. I figured, if I didn't go soon, there would be nothing left. The parking lot was quite full. I was worried already. How long would it take? What are the protocols? 

They are allowed 16 customers at a time. (25% capacity) This they control by having only 16 carts available. If two people are shopping together, they each need a cart. I didn't know that when I went to line up. I grabbed a cart, and it was the wrong one. It was taken from me. There is another employee fetching the carts from the parking lot. That helped. As I stood in line, I was asked what I was looking for, and she explained the set up, where the petunias were, and then you go through the veggie section lastly. It was good having a road map in my mind. By now my hands were shaking and I could feel my chest tighten.

It's gardening season! (April 30, 2017)


I wanted another hanging basket, figuring that was easier than doing my own this year, but most of them are prepaid, and planned for, so there wasn't a good selection for me. I tried to hurry, as there was a line out the store. We were only allowed one person in an aisle, so it was slow going. I felt rushed, and my hands were still shaking, my breath fast. Someone came up behind me while I was waiting my turn at the cash. It wasn't a good feeling. All the staff were kind and careful. I said I was experiencing some anxiety, and she was very compassionate, talking me down.

It took a half hour, all told, as I wended my way following the arrows. I forgot to ask about cherry tomatoes, but I found one, and in a hanging basket. I was so happy about that. I'll repot it, I think, as it tends to grow. I have to move the bird feeder, as they often mistake the planter for the feeder. 

I was so happy to be home! Taking everything out of the car, I rearranged the hanging planters. The cherry tomatoes are in the red hanging basket. The petunias Caitlin gave me are beside the hummingbird feeder.

My mother's day present! I love the polka dots...
It has lots of teeny cherry blossoms! I am so excited about it.

It's lily bug season. I suck them up into my pooter. It works really well. You suck on one end, which has a gauze cover on it, and pull it into the jar through the long end.

The joys of spring: I put out my laundry!

Cinnamon and I went to see the aspen grove. It is leafing out nicely, despite the deer trimming them!

The frogpond was busy. A water snake!

I figured I should look. The wood ducks have hatched and gone. It was a good outcome, 13/15 hatched. Nothing on the camera, of course. They are just too fast. 

The phoebe are safely on the nest, while the robin is still making a decision about which beam it will choose! They are around all day. robin May 14  


13 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Sorry you had such a rough time of it, but now I know that garden centres are open. I didn't know until now. I never seem to know anything any more. CP is not really near cottage country, so I am not too worried. Maybe we'll figure out what we want and get there in due course. Take care.

Tom said...

...I am becoming more comfortable being out shopping these days!

Out To Pasture said...

Congrats on the successful wood duck hatching, Jennifer. I can just imagine those fluffy babies climbing that little ladder and jumping out into the big wide world!

Gaelyn said...

I too get anxious going to town. Glad you made it safely and returned with all those pretties.

Karen said...

Ugh, I have the same flight or fight response Jennifer. I tend to avoid places where I know there will be those problems, like Canadian Tire. Our Food Basics is a zoo, but NoFrills is an easy manage at the right time of day. Peavey is pretty good too. After awhile a safe pattern evolves. We are going out on tour today. I'm hoping to find a hanging basket or two on the back roads. The Mennonite farms are growing beautiful things these days.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Well done, Jenn... I was having palpitations just reading about it. I really don't know when I will ever choose to enter a shop again and am so grateful I can pretty much order anything and it will arrive at my door... YAM xx

RedPat said...

I'm not looking forward to the garden centre. I should go this week.

Nancy J said...

Shopping amide covid anxiety is not helpful at all, is there any other way you can do it Jenn? Can you pre-order any plants and just do a pick up? Love the birds, and nesting twigs safely in her beak.

William Kendall said...

The grocery stores I frequent are pretty well managed in that respect.

DUTA said...

Don't they have outside the shop a device that 'swallows' the return bottles and issues a receipt, like at the supermarket?
Anyway, you're doing the right thing when feeling anxiety - deep breathing; that helps with palpitations and handshaking.

Red said...

Covid breaks up our regular routine and the makes us edgy.

Kay said...

Oh gosh! I got anxious just reading your post. Thank goodness shopping is not quite so stressful over here in Hawaii... for now. Stores are still careful, but we know the routine now.

Lorrie said...

I'm sorry you were so anxious about going out. But good for you for pushing through the fear. You'll be happy for your plants in the months to come. Sweet birds.