Monday 1 June 2020

Grouse, deer, yellow lady slipper

We had an adventure. JB does morning and afternoon walks around the property. I was out puttering. JB called me to the back. A bird.   I went into the forest, to see if I could see it. It was limping in front of him, pretending to be wounded. I looked for it. (The BUGS are AWFUL!) 
We usually see grouse on the side of the road during mating season.


The video was useless. Another one for the @IneptBirder! 


Ruffed Grouse can digest bitter, often toxic plants that many birds can’t handle. Levels of defensive plant compounds in buds of quaking aspen, a major winter-time food source for Ruffed Grouse, reflect the cyclic rise and fall of grouse populations: they’re lowest when grouse densities are increasing, and highest when grouse densities decline.
Looking for the grouse, which flew off, I came across some yellow lady slippers. How serendipitious. Ontario Wanderer spotted a yellow lady slipper. What a coincidence.  My photos aren't great, but the bugs were!


Look closely. Behind the lilacs. JB saw her on his morning walk on the path. She came around the house, but didn't eat my hostas. Yet.



Nutmeg is incorrigible. I had to rescue another chipmunk from her. I've found two seperate burrows. Silly things.

Nutmeg from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Cinman and I went walkies again. He was sleeping on his cat tower, and petted him and asked if he wanted 'walkies'. He hopped down, came outdoors and we went down to the pond. He was chatting all the way. Look what we spotted! He wisely was scared, and turned around and retreated.

 
Porcupine May 31 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

It's been really hot. We had the air conditioner on last week. She was panting.

kitten play from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The above video is from a 30 C. day, a couple of days ago. What a change in weather. It should be in the double-digits, a least. Another polar vortex.

11 comments:

Tom said...

...our temperatures have dropped here too!

Olga said...

Your kitties are quite the wild things!

Anvilcloud said...

Hopefully, it will continue to be leery of porcupines.

Christine said...

Lovely being out and about now.

eileeninmd said...

Hello jenn,

I love the Grouse sighting. I have only seen them out west, not in my area. Cute kitties! Take care! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

Lowcarb team member said...

Pleased that she only came around the house, but didn't eat your hostas.

Happy June Wishes.

All the best Jan

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Well, I just learned something more about porcupines - who knew they were climbers?!! We are enjoying summer-like weather here by the Hutch at the moment - but a look into the near future shows a massive dive back to situation normal... YAM xx

DUTA said...

The kittenplay in the last video is quite fscinating!

RedPat said...

I wonder if it is the same chipmunk that she keeps catching. I'm assuming that she isn't killing them.

Nancy J said...

I had no idea they climbed trees, a far safer distance from any cat who might be even slightly interested. What changes in your weather, Tuesday a.m. grey. misty, cool, a good day to be inside.

Karen said...

Trying making this spray for your hosta: about two cups of warm water, a tablespoon of vegetable oil, a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid and another teaspoon of hot red pepper powder or a good heavy slosh of hot sauce. Shake it up in a spray bottle and spray the hosta.