Wednesday 10 June 2020

Dock tails!!!!

I went down to check things out. First, Cinnamon came with me. He thought this old tree might be fun.

I went to check for mail and spotted a deer! Isn't that fun? She watched me like a hawk.


Finally, the dock tails. The tadpoles are grooving along. I love watching them bounce in the water, popping up for air in the frog pond. I need my muskrats back to create some more space. They build push ups from the weeds. 




There are some frogs, but I cannot see them for the wetland reeds. I must research them, as they aren't cattails. Just for laughs, I was looking for it on my small book shelf and couldn't find it. Hubby came to help. He kneeled down carefully. Still couldn't see it. I lay down on the floor in front of the shelf. It's not there. It was tricky getting up, but we did! 
This is what we are looking for, JB!


Can I tell you how bad the bugs are?
I just noticed at 6 seconds in, along the bottom edge, a salamander larvae with gill buds. It's quite a treat. 

We have lots of salamanders and newts here. These are the most amazing little things.

This is a red eft, which is the middle stage (teenager) of the eastern newt.


Blue spotted salamander I found a number of years ago with Buster.


8 comments:

Tom said...

...from your title I thought you were taking about a hair style from the '50s.

Gaelyn said...

I love your wetland full of life. And sympathize with getting up off the floor.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jenn,

Love your cute deer. The red newt and the salamander are cool finds.
Take care! Enjoy your day!

RedPat said...

You seem to be teeming with wildlife!

Nancy J said...

The days of kneeling are over for us down here, so glad you both managed to get standing again. A deer across the road, felines up trees, you have a wonderland right there. Love the bubbles as a tadpole swims round.

Karen said...

We were finished with the black flies, or so we thought. Last night we were sitting on the back deck and all of a sudden they came in with a vengeance. My head got pretty crusty and the red spots look like chicken pox. I'm very allergic to those buggers so they get blistery and weepy. We need another HOT day or two to bring out more dragon flies to kill them off.

We had a wicked thunder storm this morning. Lots of washouts. The township grader just left.

Red said...

Salamanders are an interesting group. We have very few of them here.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Salamanders are engaging creatures that I really enjoy. We have a whole salamander monitoring operation at SpruceHaven - forty-six boards - and have coordinated this research with the ecology lab at the University of Waterloo in times past. Most of what we find are Eastern Red-backed Salamanders, but we do get the odd Blue-spotted now and again. Salamanders are a great window into the health of the environment.