Tuesday 23 June 2020

Buying a new TV in a time of CORVID–19

I put this here because it's these silly things that drive me to distraction. I know I am privileged, don't get me wrong. It is silly. We have stuff going on. We are better off than most. We do not have to juggle work and kids, or no work at home. We had a dilemma. 

I enjoy people posting How-To articles. Kay always has some interesting, economical things going on. They are quite clever and talented. We are pretty much restricted to hiring experts, and having things shipped.

You have seen our picture of our TV.  There is this bar down the left side. Someday soon, "She's gonna blow, Captain!" My faithful reader know how much we watch TV, we purchase DVDs to get us through the dark winter and buggy nights. We are rewatching Shetland right now. We cannot do Netflix, BTW, we just don't have the bandwidth here in rural Ontario. 
tv 

I assigned the research to JB. We narrowed it down to getting it from Best Buy. I was uncomfortable having it delivered. It's free shipping over a certain amount. 

Best Buy has 2 options: a) reserve it (not prepaid,) or b) free shipping.
We had questions. I phoned. They aren't answering their phones. 

We asked, and Caitlin offered to pick it up in Kanata. Thing is, she'd have to pay for it, then we'd reimburse her. I sent Caitlin an email with the one we wanted Monday morning. My clever, efficient daughter (M.Sc.!) Monday afternoon she had it for us. 

We exchanged grandkids for a television at our meeting spot. 
OK, success. It's quite a light television. I plugged it in. It's a steep learning curve.
TV remote doesn't work. I did an online chat with Shaw, and they gave me the code. The manual didn't help! I put this here, just in case.

Now, what do I do with the old one?! I put it out on the front deck, covered it with the new TV's box. I posted it on the Free or Barter Perth page. Sunday afternoon, socially distant loading and it was gone to a family who are giving it to their daughter.


Also gone, our bread machine and toaster oven. It feels good to clean out and pass them on. I simply don't use them. JB cannot eat bread, and a fresh loaf is just too tempting for me!
Mission accomplished.

13 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

We actually had an old tv that went to Nova Scotia. A young mover took it when our friend was moving that way.

Tom said...

...a couple years ago we bought anew TV, our SIL had to set it up!

Powell River Books said...

Even though I don't have anything to give away or sell, I read the Powell River Swap and Shop site daily. It's like the classified ads, I learn more about what is happening in my hometown (while we are away) than on the newspaper website. I agree about setting up new tech equipment. As things get more complicated it is very difficult to do it ourselves. - Margy

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! You have been busy ~ glad you have a new TV ~ and great that someone could get the old one ~ ^_^

Be Safe, Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Linda said...

Enjoy that new tv. We just helped daughter out by taking 3 old tv's, and old microwave and 2 old window air conditioners to the recycling which just reopened for its summer hours. They had no way to get rid of them, don't have a vehicle, so just kept pushing them further and further under the stairs in their basement. One trip, all gone. I love Freecycle and have got rid of lots of stuff there, no need to meet the people just put it out for them to pick up.

Christine said...

Great that you got a new TV at this time too. Even better clearing your clutter

DUTA said...

Enjoy your new TV set!

Lowcarb team member said...

Mission accomplished... and very successfully :)

All the best Jan

Karen said...

We bought a "smart" TV. Don't get me going on that one!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
It feels better having the new when we can recycle the old!!! YAM xx

RedPat said...

Everything seems to be a struggle these days! We have stuff to go to the waste disposal but it is only open during the night at our closest location so we will have to go north to Finch Ave. I just want to get rid of old piece of wood etc.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Well done on moving things on. We need to do more of that. (Know anyone that wants an old Encyclopedia? Neither do we. Wondering about the blue box.)

Nancy J said...

Between you , some things are gone, and new one installed. Now you will have TV at a fingertip, well done to you all.