Tuesday 16 June 2020

Grandie tales


Ontario is easing up on COVID–19 restrictions. We into Stage 2, with bubble of 10 people. This is good.

The kids are here for the week, and alternate weeks for the summer.  They were here during the first lockdown, and we've kept this up. It's our family bubble. The adult kids have been very careful, both working from home. It really is comforting having them here. It distracts us. We are both a bit shaky with it all, as I'm sure everyone is. 

I was rubbing my eyes. Josephine asked, "Are you alright, Gramma?"
"Yes, thank you, Jos. They itch with the excess tears from the cataracts. "
"Poor Gramma," said Isabelle, "I really wish the hospitals would open up so you could have your surgery!" Isn't she a sweetie?!
"Me, too, Izzy!"
"They're focusing on COVID right now, " supplied Jos. (Good pun!)

We've been having good meals. I love Izzy's iPad screensaver! 


We have to get schoolwork done, although it is slowing down as teachers are writing report cards, while juggling school work, and their kids at home!

I asked Izzy if she missed her friends. I said, "It's not the same being with us."
"Gramma and Grampa you're not the same, but still awesome!"


I asked Isabelle if she wanted to play Uno! She asked, "What's that?" 
"The card game, YOU KNOW."
"Oh, Uno! Gramma, it's not You Know, it's like the Spanish word for One!"
 We laughed so hard we cried. Her French is excellent. Getting my pronunciation corrected in yet another language!

We looked through family photos. The white one is the kids wedding album. They celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary last month. The other album are baby photos. Wee cooed at those. Cute little babies.


Both were working on their computers. Jos has a nice chart her teachers made to cover the week. 

     From Izzy, "I really feel as if I don't do enough work!" (She's in gr. 4.)
     Jos said, "Maybe you don't have enough work to do!" (She's gr. 7.)

We are fortunate to have extra computers. What we don't have is a good enough of a high speed network. Home schooling in a time of COVID–19 isn't easy in rural Ontario. One kid was trying to download a PDF file, the other a Zoom, and Math lesson. We're pretty lucky. Lots of kids have connection issues, some forget to set an alarm for an 11 a.m. meeting, issues with audio. SIGH.


Sleepies in the basement.

Nutmeg brought the chipmunks home twice yesterday, then she took them down in the yard. This time, she brought home a garter snake. Josephine loves them. The girls asked where Jos should release it, and I pointed her to the back 40. 


Then, on the front porch. A dock spider.  I bet it is the one I released. It didn't go far.

And on the back deck. A Notable Sawyer.

The mason bee house seem to actually have bees. I've mostly had wasps in them. There is lots for the girls to look at!

Jos and I went down to fetch trailcam videos.



Yes, we're coping well, actually. It is wonderful having the girls here. We can focus on other than our health issues, and keeping the household running. I feel badly for Jean, who is in hospital for tests
Then, there is Yam with her caregiving

7 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

I'm jealous of your mason bee house occupancy. So far, I've had no takers at all. I think the neighbour fields are just too toxic. Love Izzy's iPad message. A young lady's privacy is VERY important!!!

Anvilcloud said...

We say Uno wrong as well. Once you've started pronouncing a word one way, i tends to stick, even when somewhere in your brain you know better.
It's the same with bodhran which we first pronounced bor-ANN but should be BOR-un. (I am not strong on phonetics, so I am sure my versions weren't up to snuff. lol)

carol l mckenna said...

How wonderful for you and your grandchildren ~ it is good to have them to distract you ~ Great photos and Nutmeg is quite the hunter ~ Great cam shots ~

Be Safe, Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Tom said...

...what a fabulous place the girls have to enjoy!!!

RedPat said...

You are all so lucky to spend this great amount of time together!

Nancy J said...

You darling,mentioning me, love travels south so fast bthis way,enjoy the girls, you and JB are super oldies to do this and with lockdowns a real bonus for any parent.haha, UNO, guess French will be spoken more often. Xxx to all.

Christine said...

Funny about UNO.