Tuesday 9 June 2020

Things are easing up!

Is new Blogger driving you crazy? It is me. I cannot bear it some days. Old dog, new tricks. 

COVID–19
Interesting announcement yesterday! We (Ontario) are moving into Level 2 in this pandemic, in all but Toronto, and a couple of health units hard-hit near the US border. People will be able to eat out on patios, but not inside restaurants. They are opening up day camps and water parks in the city. People can get their hair and nails done, as well as tattoos! I began to wonder at the priorities, but realized that there are a lot of people who depend on this work for their livelihood. The middle class can help this part of the economy again.

We're going to have the girls over the summer. We said that if their regular day cams opened up we weren't comfortable taking the girls for a week in July and August, as we usually do. Happily the girls chose us over camps with their peers. They really do help my mental health. My respite client is quite ill, and they now have homecare 8 hours a day. I am not needed, anyway.

If one bundles up, hoodie and all, the bugs aren't horrible!


Freedom
People are getting out and about, as we did. We saw this red convertible. It was funny that it passed another convertible (third photo) and the 2nd driver did a double take as he saw the car go by!

We had an unsettling crisis in Parham, with another white man going nuts. It's about 50 km away, as the crow flies. The OPP were amazing, according to the mayor, going door-to-door to help people. 

As if we need any more worries. Both of us got outside. I gardened and JB read, did a couple of walks around the yard. 

Outdoor play
We've been sitting outdoors. I reorganised the deck. It was too cold to sit in the shade! We'll put up our kiddie pool on the lowest deck soon.


Both of us now have our coughs back. I was awake by 2 a.m., and listened to a couple of podcasts. The first called 'Not That Kind of Rabbi", and a radio show your about the history of toothbrushes. Finally I took some sleeping meds and woke at 6:30.  

Viper's Bugloss (Echium vulgare)
The far end of the backyard lawn has some wildflowers the butterflies like 'blueweed'. This is where the septic bed is located. 

Last year, these beautiful blueweeds died in the heat of the summer, and didn't bloom. This year I shall water them. The soil isn't very deep here. It's the reason why many settlers gave up their land, like ours. It is not arable.

I've decided to let this section of the lawn go to wildflowers. The area where we planted daffodils, and clover, I plan to spread seeds from the front yard, the poppies, for example. Then, transplant some iris, etc. I can't plant a bush, I don't think, but I'll have to check. Any suggestions gladly accepted! 


I've been doing walks, as has JB. It really helps with stress relief, leg muscles, balance, and all that. He's back on meds for his shoulder and arm. 

I hope you enjoy the greenery! 

The forest
Take a walk with me.
Ferns

Isn't Cinnamon a hoot?!


Back up at the house... this is 'Oliver's Lot' and it has shallow soil cover, and the previous owners regularly cut this with the lawn tractor. I've been letting it grow for most of our 10 years here. The sumac are barely hanging on with drought and heat. I've transplanted a few trees: two spruce, and the lilac, which bloomed this year! I had two apple trees from the nursery, and they have both officially died. So sad.


The flickers appear to be working on their nest. Here is an archive photo.

A second brood, perhaps? Listen carefully! 



Maggie Magnolia is nearly done!  She is well-wrapped with chicken wire, to keep the deer away!

Meadow vole tunnel. 

They are ubiquitous. I stepped out onto the back deck mat to light the BBQ for dinner, when I screamed like a girl. I had stepped on a dead vole. It was awful! 

11 comments:

Out To Pasture said...

Lucky you to have your granddaughters over summer. They will certainly provide help, motivation and cheer. You have a lovely view from your deck!

Anvilcloud said...

Your attire looks about as bugproof as possible. It think it needs to be as it seems a little worse than average this year.

Tom said...

...I didn't want to sound negative, but we aren't out of the woods by a long shot.

The Furry Gnome said...

A walk in the woods is always good!

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post and photos ~ And yes, 'new blogger' is a definite at times, hard learning curve but am almost there ~ (you can tell by my posts that are not quite right) ~

How lucky you are to have the Grands for the summer ~ they give hope to our future, especially during these trying times ~ And what a wonderful place you live ~ nature is such a treasure ~ even stepping on 'dead critters' ~ Love the sweet Cinnamon following you on your woodsie walk ~ XXX

Be Safe, Be Well,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

RedPat said...

There always seems to be a lot going on at your place!

Nancy J said...

Cheeping and knocking? Love the grassy areas by the trees, hope those coughs finally go, and all will be well up North. There is something so special when you have a walk with a cat, love that tall tail through the tall grasses.

Karen said...

My friend Beth's farm is just outside of Parham. They are in shock!
We are so fortunate to live in the country, aren't we? As retirees we are free to roam our patch of land as we always do, doing as we please, as we always did.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Interesting the the Viper's Bugloss died. Here in our area it grows in rocky, very dry soil that kills off other plants. Wondering if your watering will work or will do it more harm than good. Let me know in the fall what has happened. In my Hamilton area records I have found it blooming from May to December over the years.

Angie said...

Jenn - a lot going on over at your place! I screamed like a girl when we hit turbulence descending into Salt Lake City! I have not tried new Blogger yet - I know I won't like it, so I put my head in the sand (for now)!

Linda said...

I've heard from others that the new Blogger is a challenge. Not a platform I use, so can't give opinions. The phase 2 opening will be interesting, we will just carry on as usual. Good to hear that Gramma Camp will be running this summer.