Friday 24 January 2020

With kitties goes kitty litter

I'm not always ready to try something new. We are trying a different type of litter. This is what we've been using: scoopable litter. You need three litter boxes for three cats. I scoop out the stuff, and put it into the empty container with the yellow lid. One bucket holds the scooper, a metal, slotted tool.

 Kitty litter is heavy. I throw it into the forest, but city folk have to throw it into the garbage. It's made of absorbent clay. The boxes are heavy. You can buy bigger, less expensive boxes, but I cannot lift them.

The plastic containers we usually recycle for other purposes. The blue one, above, holds the tools. The large container, with the yellow lid, I've re-used for the scooped stuff.

I've tried different kinds. This box was only half-full. I didn't buy that again.



The plastic bags are difficult for me to carry, as well. The boxes have been easier.
It's $15.99



There are many who are using wood pellets instead of kitty litter. I noticed my son using it in their Vancouver bathroom for their cat. Also, they use it at our cat hotel.

I began by introducing the wood pellets to Nutmeg in her spare room. We're keeping her isolated here. Annabelle is out in the night. Then, when she sits and sleeps, we put her into our bedroom and let Nutmeg out to play. We are vigilant, and it is wearying.


The cost is quite interesting.


Compare that to kitty litter... $15.99.

The pellets absorb the urine, falling apart, and you just take out the poopies. You can see how the pellets just break up. I wondered how they would react to it, but I know they go outside, and using leaves, debris and aren't so picky. When I've gone on forest walkies with cats, it's the first thing they do!



Cat tales: 

Kitty Hormones... |   Hormones, cats – part II | hormones Part the third
PART III: Plan D
We're keeping Nutmeg isolated from Annie. Annabelle is out in the night. Then, when she sits and sleeps, we put her into our bedroom and let Nutmeg out to play. We made a mistake and while I was on a 2-hour conference call for ODPRN, we forgot about Annie in the bedroom.

We have plan D. We will try Feliway on Annabelle's collar. We can't put it in all the rooms of the house, but this could work. It could take 7 days to work, if it is going to work.

Once Nutmeg gets her stitches out on Friday, she is less fragile. Hopefully, the hormones in both kittens will work their way out of their systems, too. Annie hunts Nutmeg down, and just goes for her. Nutmeg is cautious. They are fine early in the morning, when they are hungry, then things go awry.

If this doesn't work, the vet has said they will take Annie back. She was rescued by one of their former employees, and that is where we adopted her from.

How to make a cat collar

Annabelle and her bird collar

P.S. Cinnamon is quite intense. A fly woke up and came in the house with the warm temperatures. He's having a great time watching it on the ceiling!

13 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I have just read your posts going far back. I love seeing the trail cam footage so much we have bought one too. I’m thinking it will capture the same critters as you do. Did you see the way the St. John’s folks coped with the snow disaster. My face book feed is still filled with amazing stories of community spirit. I don’t mind snow but I hate freezing rain. Jeepers Jen, be careful! Hope you are both better!

Kathy G said...

Oh, I hope your cats can learn to coexist! I think it would be traumatic for Annie to have to be re-homed again.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Wonder if Annabelle is remembering her intro to the household and thinking I'll try a bit of that!!! Hope things do settle a bit for you. YAM xx

Karen said...

The wood pellets would be better for tossing in the forest too. I wish I could use the wood! Our cats are really picky. They will only use clumping unscented litter from TSC. Thank goodness it is cheap. They will use the same litter box. I have to shut Em in at night or they fight, so she has a second litter box in the spare bedroom. Occasionally they fight during the day but run in opposite directions when I yell and stomp my foot. Kitty is twice Em's size, and Em is declawed, but Em seems to be the aggressor.

Rain said...

Very interesting Jenn. We have three cat litters too and we had to stop using the clay litter because one of the cats is allergic to the dust. We started using EcoLife, it's a plant-based clumping litter that has no (very low) dust. It helped Oscar who was the one getting sores around his nose and feet...but one of the cats hates it and won't bury his poops.

How is the smell with the wood pellets?

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I did not know about using the wood pellets for kitty litter. I guess that is a good use. I hope all works out for Annabelle. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy weekend..

carol l mckenna said...

That is quite the photo of Cinnamon ~ and you are busy with the kitties ~

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy J said...

Litter is expensive down here too, and SO heavy. We have, over the years, tried many different ones, and I found to get them used to using a litter tray, sprinkled leaves on top, that did the trick.I have no idea what catteries use, as they would go through lots of pounds of the stuff. Happy days as you do musical rooms with them all, Stinking HOT down here!!! , or should I say. VERY hot. It makes stacking the firewood seem almost a joke, we now have 2 x 7.2 cubic metres of macrocarpa and gum all stored away.

Ontario Wanderer said...

Thanks for all of your comments on my blog. I do have about 8 or 10 people looking but it appears that you are the only one who want to write.

I like the idea of wood for litter. I think I shall give it a try for our cat and see what happens.

Anvilcloud said...

Yes. Litter is heavy, and we just have one cat.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope it works for you! I recall the cat boxes...as long as we kept up every day all went well...we had one cat who went outside with the dogs and he never used the cat box:)

Tom said...

...who knew that kitty litter was such a science.

William Kendall said...

Flies will certainly captivate a cat's attention.