Tuesday 28 January 2020

Critters galore!

Well, JB is still fighting this cough, since Nov. 15th. Mine has returned somewhat. We're hoping for reprieve as we've put Annabelle into the cat hotel for a week until she will be adopted. We'll see if she fits in. If so, they'll keep her. We were at our wit's end. We need to relax.

The Corona virus data has been fascinating. Cases just about doubled from yesterday to today, 2886 to 4474. Canada still has only 2 cases.

I heard PM Trudeau doing a tribute to those we lost in the plane that was shot down. He said something about not letting this final incident define the victims' lives. Remember the lives they led. This is what I'm trying to remember about Annabelle. She had a good 6 years with us, after being rescued from a barn in the region. Who knows what is in feline DNA that causes such territorial attack behaviour, aggression, after all this time. I know we're not the only ones dealing with this. Thank you, all for sharing your tales. We were so happy rescuing Nutmeg and Cinnamon, who'd been at the vet's for 2 months looking for a home.


The kittens are starting to relax, Nutmeg, specifically. We are following the tennis games in Australia, taping them in the wee hours. We're curious about the birds singing in the background at the stadium in Melbourne. They are lovely!

We're binge watching Mayday episodes, too. They put life into perspective. Live each day.
Also, watching the kids have fun. They went tubing in Quebec on Saturday. Lots of fun was had by all. I live vicariously through them.



Don't blink! She's fast.

 
deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I heard a noise outside, in the dark! I knew who it was right away.



This looks like Taco, Burrito, Mary Kate and Ashley! They were released  in October. [Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary Release] They are still hanging out together. I'm happy to see them.

 
4 raccoons from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Nutmeg, we may go for Meggie, I don't know, has been squirrel watching. She is fascinated. Actually, so was I. The black squirrels can't fit into the feeder. The red squirrels do.


I was squirrel watching, too.

black squirrel from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

We're still waiting for the 'other shoe to drop.' Actually, antlers! My trailcam mentor, in Ottawa, has reported bucks without antlers. It's a matter of time. In the meantime, we're enjoying the TV show from our kitchen window. It's slushy walking, but I haven't seen anything, or any more signs.

buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

14 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I am sure all will enjoy the new peacefulness. Hopefully Annabelle also finds a good place.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I hope it works out for Annabelle. Sending well wishes for JB!
Cute critters, I wish the raccoons would stay away from our place.
Have a happy day and great week ahead.

Out To Pasture said...

Sorry about the queen on queen aggression. I've seen it many times. Ellie Mae chases off all female cats that come into our yard. You kindly left a question on my blog. Well Jenn, I'm disappointed to report that the exclusively plant-based diet did not significantly lower my blood pressure. So, it's back on the meds for me. As my data (I know you love data) shows, shovelling snow and elliptical machine exercise isn't nearly as beneficial as long relaxing walks back the lane to our wood lot. I suppose that if someone was overweight the whole foods only diet would be more helpful. I have never had a weight issue. Oh well, I did give it a try. Thanks for asking.

carol l mckenna said...

Wishing Annabelle a good forever home ~ ^_^

Do hope you and hubby will feel good soon ~ Quite the critter crew you have and fascinating photography ~ Enjoy the tennis ~

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka ( A Creative Harbor)

Tom said...

...it's amazing that you could walk up so close to the deer and turkeys!

Christine said...

RIP Annabelle

Christine said...

I meant I hope Annabelle finds a good home, don't know what I was thinking sorry.

Nancy J said...

The Australian Open, we do . not get full coverage, just the highlights, smashing the racquet, I always how much they cost, and the joy at a win, and despair at a loss. Love all your outdoor animals.

Lowcarb team member said...

Sending my good wishes, I do hope you and hubby will feel better soon.

All the best Jan

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hope Annabelle finds a new home. Aggressive cats are no fun, yes I wonder too what makes them like that.:(

Angie said...

Jenn - some people don't like raccoons, but they can be adorable! Sounds like Nutmeg and Cinnamon are adapting well … sometimes you have to take what is best for the overall environment - hopefully Annabelle will find a new home.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Raccoons seem to be out in unusual numbers for the time of year. I have taken to bringing my bird feeders in at night, otherwise they are raided by the raccoons and they can be pretty destructive.

Powell River Books said...

Raccoons can get nasty if they get cornered in the house, been there done that. - Margy

William Kendall said...

The squirrel is a delight!