Saturday 25 January 2020

Walkies in the forest

This is unusual for January, melted snow on the shoreline of the wetland. I dare not go snowshoeing in there. It's so sad.



Looking closer at the puddles, I realized it was filled with springtails, AKA snow fleas.


I spotted the pileated woodpecker. It was a horrid day for photos, but this is where he was! The good photo is from my archive.


pileated woodpecker from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The wetland is so different in winter.



We've lost trees in our winds. It blew their tops right off!


Two drops of blood on the snow. It'll soon be antler time. They shed them at this time of year. The clues for those inclined to collect them are these drops of blood. I shall have to go for a walk prior to our forecast ice storm.



Great excitement, I thought. I realized it might just be orange-ish urine! It is shedding time, though.



Deer beds in the snow, right on the edge of the wetland.



The oak leaves hang on until mid-winter. Recent winds blew them off. Soon it will be spring!



The oak tree beside the driveway.


In the backyard, you can see the wandering tracks of the deer. And, yes, I still need to clean my sensor.



Visit more critters: Saturday's Critters #319!

8 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I love the Pileated Woodie, they are always a treat to see. I have never heard of snow fleas. We are having a warmer rainy day here.

Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend. PS, thank you for today's visit and comment.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a pretty leaf! And how interesting to see the spots of blood...always something to see! Love that big woodpecker. We can usually 'hear' one even if we don't see it. I've always called them jungle birds for the way they make the trail sound! Enjoy your weekend!

Anu said...

Hello. Great serie of photos. The pileated woodpecker looks so beautiful. Have a nice weekend!

Tom said...

...with all the wind, put a rock or two in your pocket so you don't blow away!

RedPat said...

I didn't realize there was such a thing as Snow Fleas!

Rain said...

We've had the warmish weather here too. Honestly though I don't mind at all. Lovely photos! I didn't know that about the antlers!

Crafty Green Poet said...

great observations here. The leaves and pine needles look lovely against the snow

William Kendall said...

Those woodpeckers can really make noise.