Thursday 30 January 2020

Forest friends: foxes, coyotes, deer

Things are hopping around the house, and IN the house! We're still coughing, but it will pass. Our defenses are down, as we make our way through this emotional feline situation. I get to grandie sit for two days in Ottawa next week, as the teachers continue to fight for a fair wage increase and to lower class sizes.

It's a tad chilly, though. I don't mind. It's the horrid forest conditions that phase me. That said, I'm grateful to be in Canada. I love the change in seasons.

This horrid nCoV virus is having a huge impact. Canada has 3 cases, but we are prepared after SARS. That was JB's portfolio, back when he was working. He's really glad to be retired.  This corona virus is far less communicable than SARS.  That's called the R0 (R–zero) factor.
What totally ridiculous are the horrid racist comments people are making. It's just like AIDS. Bias, ignorance, and outright stupidity flying around cyberspace by dumb trolls. I am so sorry for anyone Asian. Canada is finally preparing a plane to retrieve our citizens. Some are hunkering down. A family they interviewed said they made it through SARS in Huwan, they will make it through this. It's the poor and sick that move me. They are helpless.

My paperwhites seem to have a bud forming. I'm quite pleased. One is better than none. Stay tuned!

The kittens are doing well. We had a doe visit the bird feeder, Cinnamon was quite excited about it. You can hear him as I filmed this from the front window!

Clip0 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

After about a week of very few critters captured on the trailcam, it was a busy forest.
There were markings in the snow. I was hopeful on the way down. It was horrid walking, with a thick layer of frozen snow after freeze and thaws. Poopies and deer fur!




We had a pair of playful red-tailed foxes! They are quite playful and affectionate. It was fun to see.

red-tailed foxes from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

S/he was around for quite a time.

coyote 1 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

coyote 2
coyote 2 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I think the coyotes caused the turkeys to fly up into the trees, again.

coyote 3 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

turkeys and deer
turkeys and deer from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

9 comments:

Tom said...

...how neat it is to see the eyes shine in the darkness, -18C BRRRRRR!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Thinking of you as you prepare changes in your 'residency'. I am sure Annie will find a suitable new home. YAM xx

Karen said...

I miss my foxes. They are around, just not in my yard. :(

Christine said...

This new coronavirus is scary Jenn but so much overreaction and rumour. A lot of people are walking around with masks like a sci fi movie.

Hootin Anni said...

Love the foxes, but the video of the deer at the feeder and the kitty by the window, watching, is priceless!

Out To Pasture said...

Enjoyed the forest videos. Coyotes are usually very camera shy. Foxes (my favourites) are entering their breeding season now.

Anvilcloud said...

It is fun to see the foxes and the coyote too.

carol l mckenna said...

Think everyone is hungry ~ great photos of the wonderful wildlife in your back yard.

Love kitty in the window photo ^_^ ~ sweet !

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

William Kendall said...

Cinnamon thinks that's one huge mouse.