Thursday 16 January 2020

Cat tales: hormones Part the third

IT'S been a journey. Kitty Hormones... |   Hormones, cats – part II

Jan. 13

Monday morning I toodled off to Cat's Meow Inn to pick up cats. Annabelle had a spa morning, just before I picked them up. She is 'fresh and lovely!' I dropped off the kittens to be fixed at the vet's.
 I got a dirty look, as I called her name! She's not amused. It's a side eye, I think.


I think I see her drooling in this next photo! She was happy to be home, even though she was good for Cassandra. As I arrived to pick her up, Cinnamon leapt up at her, wrapped an arm around her neck, in pure joy, or to piss off his sister. Could go either way.


Anyway, I dropped Cinnamon and Nutmeg off at the vet's, so they don't fight at home. The vet technician will phone Tuesday, when they recover. 
Annabelle, or Queen B, as they called her, wants to be the boss of Nutmeg. They have to set up who is alpha. She just can't do this while Nutmeg is healing.


Jan. 14, 2020

The vet technician phoned. The two kittens had successful surgeries. We could have picked them up at noon, but I had my client. We also have to keep Nutmeg, especially, quiet for 10 days. No stairs. I'm stumped.

Jan. 15, 2020

We picked them up about 9:30. We have been anxious and on the edge of our seats for days with worry. Wish us luck! I hope Annie will accept a non-in heat kitten, now she's fixed.  

They told me that Cinnamon seems to like playing in water. They couldn't figure out why he drank so much water, but he'd been playing in his water bowl with both paws. Daisy used to like the stream on our driveway in spring! Cinnamon will like frogging, like Daisy!


I took photos of their surgical sites, in order to establish a baseline for possible infection.  (I did this for JB, too, after his robotic surgery!) I put her into the spare bedroom. We took Cinnamon out of his carrier, and also took a photo. Right away, Annabelle came over to inspect him. There was butt-sniffing involved. "Where the heck were you? What happened?"


Nutmeg's surgery is more invasive. Their throats are dry and sore, and she has a bit of a cough from the anesthetic tubing.  She's got pain meds for three days. When I returned with water and food, she skipped out of the bedroom. Immediately, Cinnamon jumped her bones. He's howling at her door.  

So much for restricting his activities! He's not in too much pain!

Cinnamon from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

He was sitting on the couch, in cat position, like this (below). His eyes closed, and his head want back as he went to sleep, like the subway nod! It was so funny. He's go, go, go, then crash. He still thinks he has hormones. Apparently he won't get rid of them for 4, or 6, to 8 weeks! He was jumping on Queen B, who wasn't having any of it.
  

We're supposed to slow him down, no stairs, etc. HAH! I gave up on that. He was affectionate, and went overboard. JB found him being a bit rough, "Cinnamon, you have to calm down. When I had MY surgery, I watched a three-hour documentary on the Civil War!" Cinn hopped down immediately and came into the living room with me! 


He is non-stop. I've brushed him three times, and he's shedding like mad.


Jan. 16

We'll see what today brings. They've had breakfast, I gave Nutmeg her pain meds. Yesterday we kept popping in to visit her, without Cinnamon! She goes back in 10 days to have her sutures removed. We'll get through this. 

We've had another big snow storm and I'll have to shovel before I visit my client this afternoon. It looks like about 8" or 20 cm. JB's cough is worse. We're hanging in.

8 comments:

Tom said...

...they sure are a big part of your life.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
They are looking good - they'll be fine. YAM xx

carol l mckenna said...

wow! You are a busy household ~ it is 'time limited.' ~ has an end in sight. Sweet photos ^_^

Suggestion ~ for JB's cough ~ try a mug of hot water, lemon juice, honey and chopped garlic ~ keep drinking to 'flush' the system out ~ hope it works ~ it did for me ~

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Nancy J said...

Oh, the joys of a hormonal young cat!!! Hope that cough goes soon, maybe like the 100 day one, it will eventually vanish.

Rain said...

Good luck shoveling Jenn, something I avoid at all costs! The cats are adorable, I've gotten that "side look" many a time too lol...I hope they all heal well!

RedPat said...

There is a lot of planning going on in your place in order to keep everyone safe. I hope the cough improves soon!

Anvilcloud said...

Problems galore. I hope it all works out well in the end.

William Kendall said...

You're in the home stretch, anyway.