Wednesday 8 January 2020

My new orchid

For some bizarre reason I posted twice Monday. I really don't know why. It was an accident.
I had a really good day, too. JB greeted me with, "Good morning. I love you. It's garbage day!" I got the message, and the garbage out before 8 a.m., and I didn't fall on the ice!

JB took himself in for his quarterly cancer treatment injection at our GPs office in town. Next time, it'll be into Ottawa. At least we can have some of them 5 km away.

Phalaenopsis orchid
The nurse examined him, he still is coughing. No infection, and he isn't infectious. She thinks it'll be another three weeks, at least, until the cough goes away. He's had it since mid-November. He has congestion, and his voice is peculiar.

I stayed home. I finally was healthy enough to do a workout downstairs. What a relief to be back to 'normal!' I went to visit my client Tuesday. I'm back to normal.

JB went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. He brought me an orchid. I've never had an orchid. I'm a bit worried about it. We shall see how it works out. There are 8 blooms.

It's from a company that is called Just Add Ice. They have a care guide, based on research. You water it with three ice cubes once a week.
"The Phalaenopsis orchid, often called the “beginner’s orchid”, or moth orchids, are one of the easiest orchids to take care of."
Also, they have a repotting webpage of info. I have high hopes! I can repot it, after it blooms, so as not to shock it. It has cool air roots.

The flowers are 13.5 cm across!

The guide explains the parts. I find I remember things by writing them, taking notes, or reproducing a graphic. There are two petals, and three sepals.


My giggle of the day

For our entertainment, after a long day, we watched America's Got Talent. This young lady blew us away.
Angelina Jordan Astar  known professionally as Angelina Jordan, is a Norwegian child singer. A child prodigy, she won the 2014 season of Norway's Got Talent at age eight.

I paused the TV, as they announced her age. I said to JB, "You have to process this. She was born in 2006."
 He always has a funny bone...

"It's quite astounding that there are people on stage that aren't any older than some of my clothes."

12 comments:

Tom said...

...what a beauty! I was in the nursery business for 50 years and remember when an orchid was an expensive item. Now wonderful orchids are sold at attractive prices in grocery stores!

Anvilcloud said...

That's a good one, by JB.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
If that is anything like dad's orchid - which is lucky to get a drink of water once a fortnight - it will flower every winter without fail and decorate your space for weeks on end... His has never been repotted. It's at least ten years old. YAM xx

DUTA said...

Good to hear you're back to normal.
The orchid is beautiful, and it's easy to take care of it.

Nancy J said...

I think the orchid will last for years, it's beautiful, and JB ,maybe it is time you had some new clothes!!!

Rain said...

Oh it's a beautiful flower. I do send my best wishes for JB's health. xx

RedPat said...

I just throw a bit of water at mine once a week and have never repotted it and it flowers every year.

Karen said...

People keep giving me orchids and to be honest, I don't like them. I throw an ice cube at it every Sunday after dinner. This one is hanging in there!
Good to hear you are feeling better.

Red said...

there's a nasty bug out here that seems to take 8 weeks or so to run it;s course. The Micro Manager has it and it's called bronchitis.

carol l mckenna said...

Gorgeous orchid and glad JB is better and out and about a bit ~

Happy Moments to You ,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Lowcarb team member said...

That is a beautiful orchid …

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

The orchid is quite pretty.