Tuesday 26 October 2021

🌳 If a tree falls in the forest...

We love our trees and our forest. It is so peaceful deep in the wetland. I watched the tree sway in January, 2016. It was a group of 5 trees, which we call the 5 sisters. The crack was huge.  It creaked in the wind.

When a tree falls in the forest (June, 2016) was the time it fell over. I could hear this creaking sound from up at the house. Several times in a row. I never thought to go down. I did think about putting a trailcam on it, but failed to do so.

 The cats loved it! They'd hop on and climb to the top.

It was an excellent tree for the cats to climb.

It's been down long enough for lichen and fungus.

Oct. 24 – I guess they are the four sisters, now!

I haven't been outdoors for two days. We've had rain. I am so glad I brought the goldfish in when I did. This is miserable! It was a long stream of stormy weather, which somehow joined up with the storm headed for New York. It is head north northwest, which is unusual.




Indoor play, today! There is no point going down to the trailcams, as the clever critters (except the raccoons) don't wander about in the pouring rain. 

15 comments:

Bindu said...

It is a wonder to see what happens when a tree falls in the forest and is left alone. Other lives are starting over there! When we did a tour of Vancouver, we saw walking trees. On the dead stump of one tree, another type of tree started growing.

Tom said...

...we are in the Adirondacks and recent high winds have toppled lots of trees.

RedPat said...

I'm hating this dreary weather!

Karen said...

Sure is wet and miserable. I went as far as opening the door to let herself out to pee. She didn't linger either. Sure loving the wood stove on these days. And I'm getting lots of knitting done!

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Trees have a definite lifecycle and when they fall they are home to a bunch of other types of life as it slowly decays into soil.

Anvilcloud said...

I see light in the next few days. :)

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Dreary = dreich... I know it well... YAM xx

DrumMajor said...

That's a nice timeline of the fallen "sister." So, since you heard it from the house, the tree really fell. And you stated the obvious, maybe, that the critters don't run around in the rain much. Had to think about that. Wish I had your forest. We mostly have creeks with overgrown brush on flat banks. Linda in Kansas

Quiet and Sun by Alexa said...

Interesting observation on tree :)

Red said...

In all my 80 plus years, I've never seen a tree fall. You see evidence many lightening strikes on ridges in the Rockies.

The Furry Gnome said...

Far too much rain here too. You do have a wonderful forest to wander through!

William Kendall said...

Rain like this is no fun to be out in.

DeniseinVA said...

Your photos are super! Sad to see a tree fall but its job is just beginning :)

DeniseinVA said...

Hope your rain stops soon :)

Jeanie said...

That tree is so dramatic! I'm glad you got the fish inside in time, too. Take care and keep cozy.