Wednesday 6 October 2021

Milkweed, fall colours, gladiolas...

 The garden continue to slow up. However, I found two milkweed plants that have just sprouted. They don't have a hope. Soon we'll be into cold temperatures. We had frost early in the spring and took out a lot of milkweed. 


UPDATE: I know there is an app for this, but I hesitate to load up my phone! 
They are groundcherries, genus physalis (AKA bladder), in the nightshade family.

I'm not sure what this is. I tend to think nothing good, but... the flower is pretty.

I just loved these spots of colour!

The pumpkin is a bright spot of colour that will remain until I harvest the seeds. I give the flesh to the critters, but toast the seeds for myself. They really like the pumpkins, when all the other fruit is gone.


I went down the road to two of our local farms and bought some pumpkins, as well as an armload of gladiolas. 

Last year, I took the girls down to the market stand.


The older I get the worse I get at gardening. It was lovely buying them. The red vase was from the online auction last month: The Auction Pickup in Spencerville Part 1. The painting is one Caitlin gave me!

I was up early one morning. You can see the difference in personalities in the two cats. Nutmeg boldly goes off, while Cinnamon looks about.

cats from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


 🐻SNUGGLE Bears

While a new idea for a tableaux is a challenge, JB outdid himself with this one!


Funny tale, it took me 15 minutes to think of the word tableaux! Eventually, I remembered the last syllable. Then, I went to Rhyme Zone, and found it! 

15 comments:

William Kendall said...

Critters do love pumpkin.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Although the flower is not exactly as I recognise it, those leaves on the 'surprise' garden growth scream something of the Nightshade family to me. Did the Snugglemeet resolve anything for the jays??? YAM xx

Jenn Jilks said...

I agree, Yam. I did a bit of research, but I'm having computer problems...

Pradeep Nair said...

I love pumpkins! That vase looks pretty!

Tom said...

...I just canin from cutting back some perennials, it doesn't seem lot such a big job if I do a little bit each day.

RedPat said...

The pumpkins would be attacked by the squirrels here right away. They are little devils sometimes.

Nancy J said...

I still find it a challenge to know you are into the autumn season, here we have started Daylight Saving, putting the clocks forward one hour. For those who work on the land, it is a challenge for them as milk tankers arrive as usual, cows need to be milked in the dark, but for the office workers, more daylight at the end of the day for a game of tennis, round of golf, or an early evening barbeque. For me, life goes on as usual.

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely autumnal post. All photos are a delight to see, and videos :)

Red said...

You're getting in the spirit of fall with the decorations.

Powell River Books said...

We have several pumpkin patches in town. More people are starting small farms and are being creative to make a living from them. - Margy

The Padre said...

Vivid Pumpkins There - Happy Rocktoeber

Cheers

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
Your header photos is lovely, so colorful.
The pumpkins look pretty, they are fun to carve.
Take care, enjoy your day!

Anvilcloud said...

We don't do pumpkins anymore, but I do like the look of them stacked and in clusters.

Kay said...

I'm enjoying fall vicariously through your post.

Jeanie said...

That pumpkin place is great. The glads look so autumnal and festive. Great buy!