Saturday 16 October 2021

Saturday's Critters

 It is approaching the rutting, when the bucks do their thing. The females are pregnant all winter, after being impregnated in the fall. I've noticed a buck hanging around. Normally, most of the spring and summer, we see our does with fawns and few bucks. I spotted him in the dark under the old white pine tree.


Then, he turned up on the trailcam. 

 

Next up was a coyote (or two). It could have been the same one.

   

 This clip was from trailcam #3, and it captured the buck wandering by, then the juvenile deer doing selfies, and the doe, with the yearling bouncing along the trail. 

   

 This little guy amused me, as I passed by his tree. 

   

 A couple of days ago, the buck was quietly eating, then moved over to an Aspen sapling and rubbed the bark away. 

 

buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

I went down to see what he'd done. I don't know if he's rubbing the velvet off, or marking his track.
UPDATE: On good authority, Justin Hoffman, "Leaving a rub behind. Often done on much larger trees, these little bucks will often work over saplings to leave some scent and a visual indication behind."
 
Finally, I move indoors with the goldfish I brought in from the outdoor pond yesterday.

 

goldfish from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Visit more critters from around the world: Saturday's Critters # 409, hosted by Eileen!

14 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Your goldfish have a nice home for the winter. I love all the deer videos, the coyote would spook me. I hope your kitties stay safe. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thanks for the visit and comment.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Another grand selection! YAM xx

Anvilcloud said...

Around and around we go.

Tom said...

...nice rake.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Always nice to see your videos!

My latest post:
https://craniumbolts.blogspot.com/2021/10/a-staycation-during-rainy-season.html

DeniseinVA said...

Another great post, thank you :)

William Kendall said...

The deer seem fascinated with the trail cam.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I guess you are losing leaves and can see even better now. LOVE the deer and it's fun to see your goldfish!

Lowcarb team member said...

I really enjoyed the fish video, so relaxing.

All the best Jan

Kay said...

I think it's so much fun that you can spy on all these woodland creatures.

Lorrie said...

Your trail cams provide a wealth of entertainment!

Yvonne said...

How wonderful to live among all that wildlife! Enjoyed the videos.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jen,:=) It is so interesting to see creatures on your night time cameras. I liked seeing your fish safe indoors now that the weather is getting colder.

NatureFootstep said...

love to see your deers. They disappeared from my area after the harvest and forest cutdowns. :( I hope they will come back. But I doubt it :(