Friday 8 October 2021

Fall colours, foliage

 The colours change one day at a time. 


We're up to 18 frogs in the goldfish pond. I do have to remove them as the freeze/thaw of our current Climate Change patterns just kill them. It's my fault, as the pond isn't deep enough, but the froggies don't know this.

I've a plan. I have to bring in the goldfish first, which requires a nice day. I cannot remove the frogs now, as it scares the fishies. It helps to have a semi-warm day for the fish. Then, I can whittle away at the frogs. I've been very cold working on the pond in past years, and it's no fun. It looks like the middle of next week would be a good time.

Back to my wandering...


This is interesting. Maggie Magnolia has these red things. I looked it up and magnolias do produce fruit and there are seeds inside.

Maggie Magnolia dates from 2012: Mother's Day. JB even wrote me a poem! I had to plant it myself, which was a challenge. The deer quite like it, since they are native to Ontario. This is why it is well-wrapped with chicken wire. The first photo is from 2012, the last two 2021/



Cinnamon appeared, and helped me. Somehow. OK, maybe he just distracted me!

He was awfully tired in the afternoon.


It was a lovely day. The windows I cleaned are sort of good to see through, I guess I could try again! As I sat here, I noticed all the bugs. The orchid is still blooming and growing well. The orchid cactus (on the right) is indoors, and nicely pruned last month. 
I gave away a bunch of leaves to a friend. I hope he enjoys them. Last time I rooted them and gave them away on Barter Board, but that was a pain-in-the-butt, with people showing, not showing, and all. The second photo (below) is just prior to when Butch Raccoon knocked that plant over and broke the pot!



In the evening, I waited for the sun to shine on the shed sumac, but I missed. Still, not a bad shot!

UPDATE: I know there is an app for this, but I hesitate to load up my phone! Caitlin looked it up for me. They are groundcherries, genus physalis (AKA bladder)in the nightshade family. I looked up nightshade right away, but couldn't narrow it down. Yam suggested nightshade, as well.


I finally did me a sketch! It was based on my photo.

8 comments:

Tom said...

...you found a lot of beauty in your neck of the woods.

RedPat said...

The weather next week should be perfect for the fish!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Hmmm - yes the flower does look Physallis - but the leaves are usually more serrated... but if it is P (I had not heard the term groundcherry before), then it is a delicious fruit and worth keeping! Very high in vitC. And fish tank time? Now I know the year is disappearing! YAM xx

Nancy J said...

The Magnolia is beautiful, delicate colours in the flowers. Suddenly you are getting all those deep autumn colours, and the goldfish, I have read that if there is ice on top, not to break it as the sound waves stun the fish if they are still in the water below. This wont happen to your fish!!!Hope your indoor facilities are large enough to provide the warmer wintering over haven for them all.

DUTA said...

Lovely sketch! You should do this more often.

Cloudia said...

You live in a remarkable beautiful place for you you are such a conscientious person will really appreciate having you for a friend. Keep us posted on the dear frogs

Anvilcloud said...

I figure the colour has peaked already. But it should still be good for awhile yet.

Kay said...

I love your sketch, Jenn. Cinnamon looks like he's wanting a belly rub.