Thursday 28 October 2021

A drive on a sunny day!

After our rains over the beginning of the week, JB suggested a drive in the sunshine, just to get out of the house. Off we went to Old Kingston Rd.

This is my favourite drive-by shooting. Topiary! This is a gift. 

I spontaneously suggested we hang a right on #38, and we ended up at Mill Pond Conservation Area. We've been before: Mill Pond Conservation Area, Oct. 26th, 2020, coincidentally. We were there Wed., Oct. 27th. It's a tough hike, the full one. We just did a short one down to the canoe launch. 




We met a lot of dog walkers. Some were on a leash, some not. One barrelled up to us on at the water's edge, no owner in sight. Its owner had dropped its leash, and was yapping away at us. I yelled at it in frustration, and the owner yelled, reassured me it wouldn't hurt me. Jeez Louise. I must admit, it's been a tough few weeks for several reasons, and I just needed peace and quiet. 



We met four people with dogs, and I understand it is a great place for them. I just didn't need the stress.

We hopped back in the car. Well, we rehydrated first, some smart man had brought water, and huffing and puffing were happy to sit! We hung a right onto another boat launch, Portland Class 1 Viewing Trail.

There were lots of waterfowl! I didn't bring the tripod, and you'll just have to trust me, but there were geese, buffleheads, mergansers, and the sights and sounds were lovely.







There are still patches of colour!



Next place was Narrows Lock. They are busy shutting the locks down for winter. There were only a couple of birds, the water being a bit rough here.



On Wildlife Road I spotted two neighbours both out doing their lawns at the same time. One was on a green John Deere, the other on a red lawn tractor. We giggled.


Then, two cyclists, the first in green, the second in red! What a hoot!

It was a lovely drive. I did a bit of stretching, as the hill at the Mill Pond Area is somewhat steep. It was good to get out in the sunshine. Autumn chores are coming along. I've a long list, like last year! I have to pace myself. 

17 comments:

Tom said...

...a sunny day changes your outlook on life!

Anvilcloud said...

It's nice to get out for a drive. A friend and I were down around Cardinal yesterday on some very nice roads.

Sorry about the dogs.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Nothing quite equals a dry autumn drive... YAM xx

Karen said...

I need to get out and see something beyond this yard too. It has been a week. People letting their dogs run in a popular area drive me mad. My dog is always ready to make friends with other dogs, but when they run up to her (who is on leash) and I don't know their intentions, it gets freaky.

Marco Luijken said...

Hey Jennifer,
Nice pictures. Wonderful to see all with the beautiful autumn colors.
A wonderful time to go out.

Greetings, Marco

DUTA said...

We've got sunshine during most of the year. That's good, as it lifts our mood and spirits. I suppose many people in countries with dark skies, get into glkomy mood, even depression.

RedPat said...

It was so nice in the sunshine yesterday and dreary again today. Good you got out in the nice weather.

Rain said...

What a nice autumn day Jenn! Looks like a beautiful area to visit, but I agree about the loose dogs...I have dogs (well as you know!) and they are NEVER off leash. I think it's really irresponsible for people to do that. "He won't hurt you"...well, that's not the point is it? Thanks for sharing those lovely photos!!! :)

Cloudia said...

Glad you had a lovely red and green day!

Linda said...

We’ve been out for a couple of drives to and a walk by the water. Lovely to be out after. Couple of really rainy days.

Red said...

You take some awesome drives there.

Nancy J said...

Red and green must be the in colours for your season now!!! Time to mow the front lawn, disperse all those autumn leaves, and have it looking neat and tidy for the 31st!!! Love the views as you drive along, wish I could be there for a visitXXXXX

The Furry Gnome said...

That's a nice header photo you've got up these days.

William Kendall said...

Beautiful fall colours. The canal in town has already been lowered for winter.

Gaelyn said...

Love drives to clear my head. Also like dogs, but keep them restrained please.

Vicky Cahyagi said...

beautiful view and photos. Have a nice day

Kay said...

The front of your house is so pretty!