Sunday 24 January 2021

Critters, well, cats!

Ya know, winter is truly here. The cats are not amused. They will go outdoors, but only for 5 minutes. This is good exercise for all of us! Front door, back door, they keep hoping it'll be warmer there!


Indoor play is good! I have enjoyed my terrarium. It's been overgrown, and I've trimmed it up several times. I've had it nearly a year, bought second hand (at least 2nd hand!) [9th March, 2019; My new, old terrarium].

I took the palm plant out of the terrarium. It was just growing too tall, and you can see where I severely pruned the tallest branches. Cinnamon thought it was interesting. We shall monitor that.


It was Hooper who used to go after this plant. I'd forgotten until I looked back. Cinn has not been interested.

Cinnamon is pretty bored. We keep chasing him off of the aquarium. I think I give up, unless he is harassing the fish. 

Next, he took on the philodendron. I thought he might jump up. Males are so different than females, methinks.


Nope, Mommy, I'm not looking at the ivy! This railing looks down onto the basement stairs. He is nimble.

 I had a nice walk in the forest. So did the fisher and a couple of hares. I moved the trailcams, as there were a lot of tracks in the new fallen snow. When I went back on Saturday, Jan. 23rd, NOTHING on the trailcams! 


Oregano, our visiting cat

I was trying to see a pattern to the outdoor cat's visits, and I cannot. I made a STRANGE CAT PAGE where I could keep better track. There is no rhyme nor reason for his visits, other than being in the dark. 

Oregano, again. Strange cat Jan. 22 I think this might be our cat in the window, though.


Jan. 23rd, at night, 7:43 and 8:07. We know our cats were in. Oregano strange cat

Saturday morning, I unplugged the Christmas lights, and plugged in the heated cat house. My plan is to find out if he stays here, or not. Either he has a home, or he hunkers down in there. It's a 25W heater, adequate for the cats. 


People on our nearby lake tell us he's been on the north shore of Otty Lake for awhile. He must be hungry to cross the highway and travel a couple of km to see us, though.

12 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Yo have cats to amuse you until the kids return.

Tom said...

...years ago I had a terrarium, but not as grand as this one.

eileeninmd said...

Hello Jen,
Your kitties have found some fun ways to entertain themselves, cute photos.
I hope you recover from the back pain , feel better.
Take care, have a happy new week!

Christine said...

Nice of you to provide a heated cat house! That is so cute.

Nancy J said...

the saying is " Cats choose where to live" so maybe Oregano is choosing you, he must be desperate to be out in such cold, and walk so far.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I do like your terrarium.

RedPat said...

I hope he finds the wee house.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cats are entertaining! Stay safe!

William Kendall said...

Time will tell with Oregano.

Cloudia said...

Cute friends!

Kay said...

Your terrarium is really pretty and interesting. I used to keep one in my classroom such a long time ago. I think here in Hawaii, it would grow fungus.

Karen said...

Perhaps Oregano is attracted by your cats, or the activity around the bird feeder!!??