Monday 18 January 2021

Redpolls!

My photos are lousy, but they record an event. Every winter redpolls arrive from the north. I couldn't ID these birds without help, as they are a mix of male and female adults, as well as juveniles. 







I do have an old photo, or two.

I'll be curious to see if they turn up again, or are passing through.  According to Bob'll No, at Gilligalou...
Red polls, large number in the area this year, they come down from the North each year, some years more that others, after food. The cone crop in the Boreal is poor this year forcing high numbers south. They love Nyjer seed!
Redpolls (AllAboutBirds) have an interesting range. 

12 comments:

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
How exciting to see such a cute wee bird... a good number of them too!!! YAM xx

Tom said...

...redpolls are new to me.

Anvilcloud said...

They are new to me. But any sparrow-like bird is a sparrow to me, even though some have tried (in vain) to educate me.

Lorrie said...

Such pretty birds with their red hats! According to your map we should see redpolls here, but I don't think I ever have. I'll be looking for them now.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It's a great winter for redpolls, charming little birds. Usually in winters when they visit I have them at my bird feeders, but so far they have declined to put in an appearance. Lots in local parks, however.

RedPat said...

I remember seeing them some years but haven't seen any for a long time now.

Lowcarb team member said...

How lovely to see the Redpolls.
I enjoyed your photographs and the video :)

All the best Jan

Karen said...

We had a gang pass through here last week.

NatureFootstep said...

Hi, we usually have redpolls visiting every winter, but so far I ahve not seen a single one :( And I miss them. Loved to see yours. :)

Red said...

they ae a very pleasant little bird. there are lots here this year but they haven't come to my place.

Handmade in Israel said...

Such a sweet little bird! Lovely photos.

William Kendall said...

Very busy at your feeder.