Friday 29 January 2021

Gramma Camp Week 22 – Thursday

 I awoke at 4:30. I figured I might as well go downstairs and chuck some firewood in the wood stove to keep the girls warm in their basement lair.

We began the day with a screaming dog. I taped it for them. Giggles all around. A great way to start the day. I cherry pick a few from my morning show, and they laughed. The other video was a twin, being called by the father, but he was calling the wrong name. The wee 2-year-old tried to point it out. 

While our local school board (USDSB) goes back to school Feb. 1st, Monday, and the girls' school board goes back then, as well, the girls have been doing virtual school since September. I think it was a good move, as they have that consistency over the months, and they are able to come to us alternate weeks.

We decided to quit virtual school at 1:30, and have a good break. Well, Isabelle and I. Josephine worked until 1:50. 

Izzy made a snow angel!

Isabelle and I checked on her trailcam. We found a spot where a deer peed, and mice tracks in the snow.



By then, Jos had joined us. She wanted to try and find Isabelle's trailcam by herself. She did!

They hung out at the tree, then began a snowball fight.

Josee climbed a tree!

Isabelle climbed a tree, too! Trust me, she's in there somewhere...

Refreshed, we went back indoors.

Grampa made the three of us tea and we set out to work. Isabelle brought Grampa's laptop into the dining room from her office, and we plugged away from 2:30 until after 4 p.m. I pulled ideas out of her brain, while Grampa threw vocabulary at us. She cleverly keeps a browser window open with Google Translate. Next, she typed out a script, translated what we couldn't do, rehearsed, she memorised the intro, and I filmed it. 



It was an ad for a product Izzy developed online: a plug in for her iPad, attached to her Mom's rowing machine.

We finished the ad. It was quite the process. It was assigned three weeks ago. A bit much for a gr. 5. I wonder who is monitoring the teacher assignments. I know there is a principal to oversee the teachers. 

If I were the teacher, I'd have broken the steps down, scaffolding the project, saying page one is due today, second section the next, with support.  isabelle ad They need the structure in this online forum.


After Grampa brough pizza home, and we ate, we gathered in the living room. Izzy pretended to be irked I'd taken yet another photo of her! At dinner we discussed red hair, and Isabelle explained how it is a recessive gene and she must have gotten it from her paternal grandfather, who had red hair. We have interesting discussions over dinner! 


The wolf moon...  I showed it to the girls. It's the best I would do for a photo. I could have hauled out the tripod, but I chose not to. 


I tucked the girls in, and there was Cinnamon, nestled in the bed with them. 


Oregano was outside, I spotted the motion sensor lights on, the poor wee thing. Izzy asked what I was going to do about it. She offered one of their live traps for me. I said that the rescue shelters are pretty full, plus he's likely feral, and not inclined to be a pet. I don't know how he survives. 


6 comments:

Tom said...

...what a fabulous playground your granddaughters have!

Cloudia said...

Ah but they are learning to manage the entire project themselves. Invaluable I'd say. These posts with the kids and nature are so FUN!

RedPat said...

Poor Oregano. It is so cold out now.

William Kendall said...

I have to admit... the screaming dog would drive me nuts.

Red said...

Lots of fun in the snow. Very few kids play in the snow today.

Out To Pasture said...

Ah, so that was a wolf moon we had last night. It really lit up the night!