Sunday 17 March 2024

Fireflies, toe biters and the fisher

 I have complained about finding someone to give me a good haircut. I struck a note with several of my fellow bloggers! 

I was happy with this second one from the same stylist. Whew! We drove into Carleton Place, and JB shopped while I was being taken care of. 


All sorts of things are happening outdoors. I have a firefly who has had a friend join him on the trailcam! He seems to hang out here. Usually the fireflies are active mating in June. I'l bet they are early this year.

fireflies from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Belostomatidae (Wiki) AKA toe biters

I spotted the toe biters in the goldfish pond. I thought I'd fish them out and look at them more closely. They were 'all sexed up' to quote my late mother! 😏 



I left them in the heated bird bath overnight. I could have taken them down to the frog pond, but in the morning they had flown away. Yes, beetles with wings, and a mosquito/blackfly-type proboscis. 
"It has a penetrating semi-retractable proboscis. Think of it as sort of a mosquito way of feeding. It has digestive enzymes... seizes prey in its arms like a praying mantis would.... then jabs its pointy bit into the prey.. and slurps out the goop like a spider."
This first one, below, is one I found on my back deck one year, Sept. 2011. It was ~2" long. Another I found in 2014 sucking on a frog.They are bad for the goldfish and froggies. 
 


toe biters from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.


Down at the frog pond, a wood frog has succumbed to freeze and thaw, I think. It is a tough life. Faithful readers will know I work hard to take the goldfish pond frogs down to the frog pond (I moved 43 last fall), where the winter doesn't treat them so harshly. The wood frogs hunker down in the forest debris. 




Joseph Brian was out back with Cinnamon when he saw a fisher loping through the yard. They are notorious for killing cats, but it ignored Cinnamon, seeing JB, and headed for the back 50. 
The fisher photo is a screen capture from my video. They are quite fast. I think Cinnamon is a bit bigger than the fisher on my trailcams. He didn't show any fear for this fisher. 




12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Never heard of toe biters, and hope I never run into one! Yikes! Amazing to see the fisher so close to your home, and in daytime! Glad Cinnamon was safe from it!

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh, and a big congrats on the hair working to your satisfaction again. Looking good from my point of view!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

A Fisher sighting is rare indeed! In all my years of deer hunting, I think I have seen one or two in the wild.

The Furry Gnome said...

I'm amazed you see Fishers so regularly!

Mae Travels said...

Your rescues of frogs, insects, and other living things are fun to read about.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

RedPat said...

My money is on Cinnamon. He doesn't want to be messed with again.

Anvilcloud said...

Glad you found a hairdresser and in a good town too. :)

Never heard of toe-biters before.

Nancy J said...

The Fisher, a nasty looking fellow. Thanks for asking Jesse, that is so generous, And a local contact is better still.XXX

Red said...

You forgot about haircuts in your title.

DrumMajor said...

Ewwww: evil bugs and nasty fishers. I didn't know they kill cats! Linda in Kansas

Kay said...

Gosh! I haven't seen fireflies in such a long, long time. They were so magical when we lived in Chicago.

I really like your haircut, Jenn. She did a wonderful job. You look beautiful.

Far Side of Fifty said...

A Fisher can be so nasty...cats ,dogs they are like a killing machine:(