Tuesday 12 March 2024

April 8th eclipse – are you ready?!

I am planning ahead. 🌞 I'm having fun watching the discussions around the April 8th eclipse. Some boards have moved a PD day to April,  so kids aren't in school. I think they just don't want the responsibility if something happens. It'll actually happen here in Ontario when a lot of kids would be on busses or walking home. It should hit here at 3:20 p.m. and I wonder about the efficacy of having kids at home. What do you think? 

I did some research!

Book of Optics: by Muslim Physicist Hasan Alhazen (Wiki)

The camera obscura was known to the ancient Chinese, and was described by the Han Chinese polymath Shen Kuo, published in the year 1088 Common Era. Aristotle had discussed the basic principle behind it in his Problems, but Alhazen's work contained the first clear description of camera obscura.[87] and early analysis[88] of the device.

Ibn al-Haytham used a camera obscura mainly to observe a partial solar eclipse.[89] In his essay, Ibn al-Haytham writes that he observed the sickle-like shape of the sun at the time of an eclipse. 

 

It is interesting. In Ontario, it wasn't obvious how much we would be affected. I thought I'd look it up. Here is a look at us in southeastern Ontario. You can even narrow it down to the Ottawa area

We are on the fringe of the viewing area. 'Perth,' although we don't live in town!

 



I tried to order viewing glasses, but a pack of 4 was about $12, + $13 shipping! I know there is lots of information out there about how to make a camera obscura!

There was a Partial eclipse in 2017 (📹Eclipse), and I tried a couple of things. A shoe box, and my sieve! 


One little moonsickle!

 I have a cereal box, and a small box set aside. 

Basically you want a way to have the sun at your back, and to be able to see the end of the box. Here is my equipment for 2024. A piece of foil and a pin hole in that. I shall work on this.
I saw another reference online where someone filmed the eclipse inside the box. I am going to try and figure something out! 


From 2017:

Eclipse 2017 from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

12 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Looks like you are ready!
Take care, have a great day!

Anvilcloud said...

I've done that. I also photographed the last eclipse a few years ago. Not sure if I will bother again.

RedPat said...

I think that we used welders' glasses the last time.

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad that you will have this opportunity. I watched it with dark glasses or some from the eye doc, don't remember which, a few years ago. Not many people here at the complex were interested. If they can see it on TV they would like it.

Karen said...

We were at Science North in Sudbury during the 2017 eclipse. It was interesting to see it on the floor of the mine shaft. The place was packed with school groups while we were there. Being very crowded with noisy youngsters, we wanted to get back to the truck and be on our way once we viewed the image on the floor. When we went outdoors it was dark like dusk. I wonder how dark it will get this time?

Karen said...

I forgot to mention, we have welders lens to view it. Welding shops sell replacement glass for the welders masks. They are about three by three inches square for the mask we have here.

tz_garden said...

You are ready! I think we went to school late one year when there was a total eclipse - 1979. I remember sitting in the living room with the curtains drawn and it getting dark for 2 full minutes.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I had the glasses in 2017 but didn't keep them. My cousin in Wyoming said he filled a pail with water and then looked at the water. I can't vouch that though.

A camera obscura would be cool.

Christine said...

I have located my solar eclipse glasses!

Red said...

Have fun. We had a total solar eclipse around 1985. We had the kids in school . It was a mix of good and bad.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

It will be wonderful to see and I hope for a perfect day for you.
We were in Oregon for the total solar eclipse a few years ago and it was the perfect spot to view it in full. People came from all over the world -- hotels were full in our City! h My personal planner (Bill of course) figured out a great location about 30 miles east of us at an wide-open park. My sister and BIL came from Seattle to stay with us and we drove up there at zero dark thirty, I made breakfast in our camper and we ate al fresco as the sun rose and then waited for the eclipse (I think the point of totality was mid-morning). It was awe-inspiring and felt like a once-in-a-lifetime for us. Here now in Florida, we are supposed to be just on the edge and I don't really think we could re-create the experience, so I haven't got as excited as I did that time.

Jeanie said...

We're talking about visiting either my cousins in Cleveland or Rick's aunt in Toledo because both are in the area of totality! It's kind of exciting!