Friday 1 March 2024

Percy's new aquarium light!

We bought the fish tank and stand on sale in 2012 or so. I was gifted some goldfish a local biologist found in a ditch, and my old tank was too small. We toddled off to Kanata to the nearest pet store. This tank was on sale, and was a floor model they didn't make anymore. There are drawbacks to it, as I need to get on a chair to reach the sides at the bottom to scrub. It is tall, but hides the pump below. I'm on my 3rd pump/filter, and at least that many new bulbs! 

I took some iPhone photos of Percy. He is massive. Each side of the hexagonal tank (273 L or 60 gallons) is 40 cm (15.75") wide, Percy is almost that long. 



Percy goldfish from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

The light generated some heat. Daisy and Buster loved sleeping on top of the tank in winter. So do Nutmeg and Cinnamon. All the cats like to try fishing. 
 

The light blew up on the fishtank. It was the weirdest thing! There were three bulbs, with them replaced over the years. The one bulb fused itself to the mounting bracket.


I had to take the topper apart to get the bulb out. 

It was filthy under that silver flashing. The tank looks so strange! I removed the framework and threw it out.

All I needed was a light here. It was a bit dark for a couple of days.


I began to Google for a new light. There are big pet stores in the city, but not here. Wow, are they ever different! LED lights are bright and full spectrum.

I found this one↓ and Amazon sent it in two days. Washing the top of the tank where the light will sit, I plunked it on top. Pas de sweat!  It is compact, powerful, and does the job.


I toyed with leaving the top off, I don't need it, but it looks pretty good, more finished with the now defunct hood on top. 







Percy from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

9 comments:

DrumMajor said...

That's a big tank and a big Percy. Linda in Kansas

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

That is one huge fish you got there!
The new lights are just marvelous. I have a reading light that I can adjust the spectrum on for different effects.

Jeanie said...

That's weird about the light blowing up but I love how this looks and Percy is handsome indeed!

RedPat said...

Percy is doing well. He will be happy when summer comes.

eileeninmd said...

Your aquarium is nice, pretty fish!
Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

Anvilcloud said...

You are such a DIYer.

eileeninmd said...

Percy is doing well, thanks to you!
Love the goldfish and photos.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great weekend.

Kay said...

Wow! That's so pretty with the lights.

William Kendall said...

Percy is big.