Friday 20 October 2023

Politics, Aspen grove, frogging

Politics: The Speaker
We've been watching parliamentary procedures here and across our southern border. Joseph loves politics, and the political process. He spoke before the Senate Committee on Transportation issues the week he retired! This 🇺🇸US issue is quite unfathomable to me. Jordan looks like a fool, not knowing where he isn't wanted. I hope Congress finds a speaker they can live with. 
Representative Mario Diaz-Balart: “There is a time when you have to put country above ego and self,” he said, adding that Jordan simply doesn’t have the votes to win. “It gets to a point where this now becomes just an egofest.”


Our new 🇨🇦Canadian federal Speaker of the house began to try to give a speech about decorum, and following house protocols and procedures. Greg Fergus was heckled and delayed by Conservatives. They interrupted him, insisting that Wednesday was the day for Opposition Question Period. They argued and argued with this man. 
The Speaker, Greg Fergus

Conservatives certainly are the worst offenders, using pejorative titles for some members, including the Prime Minister, and calling out members when they should be talking to the Speaker, not the person they are trying to offend. Once the Honorable Greg Fergus was finally able to get to his short speech, he addressed the issues, stating that he isn't inventing new rules, but simply wants to enforce the existing ones. 

"Too many Canadians look on activity in parliament with sheer contempt. It is time to reverse this."
– Paul Wells, journalist


🍂 Aside from that, it was a day to continue with outdoor chores on Thursday. It was balmy (18 C.)! I did the leaves, again. Just blew them off the driveway. I am ahead of myself this year. Some years snow falls before I am done. We anticipate rain today, Friday. 


🐸 I had 4 or 5 pairs of froggy eyes on me, watching my every move. I managed to snag three on Thursday. They were less wary than a few days ago. The break from that wicked two-legged attacker was good for them! 

Sadly, my net had a hole in it. One got away. I think it will be tough to get a new one in the stores here. All the outdoor stuff is away. I do have a butterfly net that works, but it has a short handle and I usually use it to capture bats and throw them outside! I need a long handle. You can't order those online.

What worked for the old net was to staple it. I captured three! 

This time I took them out to the back 40, and put them in the wetland. It looks so pretty. I found a spot with a little bit of water for them. They will snuggle in the muck.


Our new little aspen grove. 

Nutmeg up to her old tricks. The birds are too quick for her, though. 


Oct. 11  a.m.  –  7 frogs moved
Oct. 11 p.m.   –  7 frogs
Oct. 12 p.m.   – 13 frogs
Oct. 13 p.m.   –   5     
Oct. 14 p.m.   –   3     
Oct. 18 p.m.   –   5       
Oct. 19 p.m.   –   3  = 43

12 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Thus the frog saver has done her duty again! Nutmeg is trying to look like your stationary crow sculpture...and of course failing gloriously. Politics is the part of news I skim by in most posts. That's because here nothing is happening. And thanks to a new war, I see nothing of tRump either! So that's a good thing. Geese, I can't believe I prefer war stories to his antics, but it's true.

Anvilcloud said...

Try Cabelas for a net?

eileeninmd said...

Our government consists of a big group of fruitcakes, Jordan is one who likes to throw-out a lot of different lies and conspiracy theories. God help us!
I like the cute Nutmeg photo!

Jeanie said...

We don't understand the Jim Jordan thing either. He's an evil man and I don't use that term lightly. Not to mention an ego the size of a whale. And you are right about the Conservatives being more "heckle" oriented. Here too. One guy I can think of to blame for that one and I hope the courts nail him to the wall.

RedPat said...

I avoid watching parliament. I can't stand all the childlike bad behaviour and name calling.

Elephant's Child said...

Sadly politics the world over seems to be an egofest. And they behave in ways that would have small children pulled into line quickly.
Thank you for continuing to work for the froggies.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Thank you for being a frog savior! The world need those guys around. .... our national politics is beyond a mess, that's for sure. Very interesting to learn from you that your conservative party seems to share some traits with ours (the Republicans, especially the so-called "Freedom Caucus" which Jordan is the head of. What is it with those people? Did nobody ever teach them human empathy and basic manners? (I don't imagine your legislative assembly is quite as messed up as ours is right now -- don't think that would be possible.)

Far Side of Fifty said...

All the Politicians have big problems, I think they should all resign if they cannot do their job:)

Ontario Wanderer said...

Politics seem to be the bane of the world, not just here and to the immediate south.

Red said...

It's not only egos that cause problems in parliament but complete idiots. We vote for idiots when we can't bring ourselves to vote for another party.

Divers and Sundry said...

One of my conservative friends said, "They'll never find somebody you'll like," to which I responded, "They can't even find somebody _they_ like." lol It's embarrassing. The Republicans have the majority but barely, but they will not work with Democrats at all. I look forward to seeing what'll happen tomorrow (Monday).

So many frogs! The aspens are sooo pretty!

William Kendall said...

The Conservative Party takes their cues from their leader, who is the most ultrapartisan politician the country has ever seen.