Wednesday 6 March 2024

Harlequin Tabby Capture Attempt #1 & 2

Joseph Brian and I worked on tilting the camera to a better angle. With the snow gone, I thought it prudent. Plus, we've a cat visiting us and I wanted a better visual. It's tricky, since I need my laptop to check that it is at the right angle. 

 

camera fix from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

😼 Cat visitors over the years 

In November we had a black cat come by, later killed on the highway. Someone brought him to us thinking he was ours. We've a new frequent flyer, as I've written. We don't know the owners.  The nearest possible homes are 1 km away! This was Feb. 27th. There are barn cats nearby, but they know better!

Harlequin tabby from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

8 pm, March 1st:

strange cat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

He visited at 8 p.m. Friday, March 1st. Also, Dec. 11, 16, 20, (Mon., Sat, Tues.), and Tues., Feb. 27. I was listening to a podcast called Uncharted, and they said data gives us clues. He skipped January, which was snowy.

I decided it was time to do something. I posted the info on our local Facebook page. Turns out he's been travelling around the south shore of the lake. People have seen him on their trailcams and security cameras, as well. That is quite a range for a cat. Especially since he is crossing the highway to get to us, and then there is our fisher, coyotes, a bobcat, and other predators out there.
 

I put out the word, and borrowed an animal trap. There is no way I want to take another dead cat for cremation. Our cats, found at the side of a road as kittens, don't venture near the highway. 



Mar. 4th, 1st attempt! I think he put his paw in and got some of the bait (cat food).

strange cat from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

Attempt #2

You'll have to picture it, because I forgot to put the Wingscapes camera on the trap. The food was too near the far end and Cat reached a paw through and took the food bait. This time, I put a chunk of food on the trip plate. The trip plate was licked clean.

The camera didn't pick anything up, and the trailcam batteries died! 

13 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Ah ha. A cunning and well-fed looking cat he is! He must be a good hunter, or have someone friendly providing for him. He sure knew trap wasn't something he wanted to go in! Imagine licking the trip plate clean!

Anvilcloud said...

Smart cat although getting caught might be the best this for it.

DrumMajor said...

Sounds like he's not meant to be caught! Super wandering smart kittie. Just put his food outside. He'll appreciate it. Linda in Kansas

Kathy G said...

Bless you for trying to take care of Kitty.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Pretty smart little kitty! We used to have a barn cat that would spend a lot of time at the neighboring barn and had theirs visit us. We did not know until the neighbor came over and we compared notes!

Tom said...

...you sure go the extra mile.

Mae Travels said...

You sound like a very sane cat lady (not a crazy cat lady)-- very kind of you to try to rescue this stray.
But I guess he has his own agenda.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

tz_garden said...

Oh, he's cute. He looks no worse for the wear, he must be a good little hunter. I hope you catch him!

Nancy J said...

He looks very well fed, and is very road savvy, not to think about the fisher and others out there.

Out To Pasture said...

Looks like this is not his first rodeo with a trap, Jennifer. Sure wish you luck with your rescue mission!

Red said...

A very smart cat. I don't think you'll catch him

eileeninmd said...

Smart kitty, I hope you are able to catch him.
Take care, enjoy your day!

DeniseinVA said...

Methinks that's one very smart cat! You've got such a kind heart. I hope you can catch him.