Saturday 6 November 2021

Saturday's Critters: young buck Carl

I love this young buck. He was at the frogpond trailcam #2. This is where I'm trying to snag a photo of mice friends. It still hasn't happened. 

We'll need a name, at least until he sheds his antlers (February-ish). After that it's difficult telling them apart, aside from behaviour. JB and I were looking out the front at him. Josephine, who turns 14 in December, suggested Carl! I posted photos to the family photo stream. It was that or Frederic. I think Carl!


He munched on dead foliage, looking for leftover bird seed. (There isn't much of that between the raccoons and birds.)



What was funny is that I'd moved the trailcam to see if I could get Oregano on it, but our buck featured heavily! (Oregano is our feral nocturnal feline friend. He's back!)

He has been on both trailcams beside the frogpond.


Carl was there awhile, then moved to the backyard. 




Backyard buck 

He was there last night, as well! I told him his new name. He wasn't too impressed and carried on eating the grass.




Saturday's Critters # 412 Visit more critters hosted by Eileen!

17 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

Your deer look almost tame, they come so close to the house. They are very timid here, the hunting season has started here. Love all the deer photos and videos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, have a great weekend. PS, thank you for your comment, link and visit.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari Om
Welcome, Carl! I love how you kept checking the window for watchers and were oblivious to being seen from behind! Long may you visit "Jennacres"!!! Hugs and ear-flicks, YAM-aunty xxx

Jenn, this one's a winner!!!

Christine said...

So peaceful there

Christine said...

So peaceful there

RedPat said...

Wonderful!

Tom said...

...Carl seems to feel right at home!

DUTA said...

The last two pictures with Carl, are lovely!

Karen said...

I miss seeing the deer in the yard. They used to come running when Mike would step out and shake his bucket of birdseed and corn. My next neighbour says she has them roaming through her place daily. That surprised me, because until very recently she had a very vocal dog.

Lorrie said...

Carl is a suitably manly name for your young buck! Love all your trail cam videos.

Anvilcloud said...

Carl seems to be making himself at home.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love that you see some of the same ones over and over again! I love these critters!

William Kendall said...

I wonder what he's thinking when he looks up at the porch in between bites.

Nancy J said...

Right by the verandah, your garden must be so tasty, and in the daylight, he is almost too tame.Maybe just making sure there will be a meal ready when colder days arrive.

Red said...

Looks like Carl is going to be a permanent resident.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Carl is Karl, very social :))

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am just thankful you didn't name him Bubba!

Lowcarb team member said...

Carl has certainly taken a liking your place :)

All the best Jan