Sunday 7 November 2021

Walkies with Cinnamon

Many thanks for the compliments on my new hairdo! It is very kind. The beauty of it is I can take care of it myself, and not wish I had someone to blow it dry for me! 

Taking off for walkies, I had buddies. We went down the hill, Cinnamon ran with me. Then he heard Nutmeg and (pretended?) to be scared and hoofed it up a tree. You can see him smack dab in the middle in the 2nd photo! They are a fun pair.




You can see the last of the leaves on the tree. After a couple of subzero nights, they dropped. Just dropped! Just a few are left. The horse chestnut tree is nearly done. 

Twas funny. I went to start the lawn tractor, to mulch them, and it wouldn't start. I had a choice: push the tractor from the shed to the garage and boost the battery. Or, take the battery out, and take it to the garage. Or give it up for the season. 

It's a lovely carpet, but slippery. I thought I'd try the tractor again, and it started. It didn't like the -5 C temps overnight. By the afternoon it was a balmy 5 C. Whew. I mulched it all. Once we are done for the season I have to bring in the battery for the winter. Also, I have to push the snow blower from the shed to the garage.

This was a bit of fun. I heard a helicopter. Can you see it? Nah, me either. But it was there behind the tree branches as I watched it fly out of sight.

I ran indoors to check it out. It began far to the west of us, did a circle, headed south of us, and then east. It's the Coast Guard! In Ontario!



The critters have been quiet on the trailcam, except for the coyote. There was nothing on them over the past few days.
 


We donate monthly to our local animal wildlife shelter (RVWS). We've had them visit and release 3 skunks and 8 raccoons. Skunk and Raccoon Release Videos |  Skunk and Raccoon Release Photos, Sept., 2017. Also: Rideau Valley Wildlife Sanctuary Release a couple more raccoons, Oct., 2019.

They rehabbed a porcupine and, upon its release elsewhere, had an explanation of its behaviour! They posted this for us all. 

13 comments:

Tom said...

...when helicopters are flying here, they are Mercy Flights or looking for marijuana.

Christine said...

The wildlife shelter sounds like a good cause.

Karen said...

As you might know, we are in the small engine business. I've heard Mike comment that several models are "fair weather machines". Clients will call for service, or bring their machine into the shop, and it works just fine. It seems to be a complaint in spring and fall. hahaha

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

You are so in tune with your area, everything from the various critters to coast guard helicopters!!

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Awww, nothing beats that happy dance!!! YAM xx

DUTA said...

I like the word 'walkies'. You use it a lot in your blog as you've got great,adequate space for it,bordering your home.

RedPat said...

It is a lovely time of year when the sun comes out and warms things up a bit. It is 18˚C out on my deck!

William Kendall said...

The porcupine is fascinating.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Kudos to you for donating to your local wildlife shelter. I am sure they need the money and appreciate your kindness.

Red said...

There's a tremendous amount of fall yard work. I like it!

Cloudia said...

Delighted, Jenn

Anvilcloud said...

Walked in O-Kee-Lee park yesterday. Not many leaves lingering. Got one decent pic though.

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done on donating to the wildlife centre, I am sure your donations are very welcome and most gratefully received.

All the best Jan