Saturday 20 November 2021

Saturday's Critters

It's fun watching the deer on the trailcams. It takes my mind off arguing with Canada Revenue Agency in my head at 4 a.m. (They aren't listening anyway!) We now await snail mail for the evidence of the money we must pay. 

The pumpkins are being gobbled up.


   

 I've set out the pumpkins in front of the trailcam. The doe really gets into it. The juveniles are a hoot, bounding around after momma. 

   

 The buck, Carl, is still following the doe around waiting for her to go into heat. It only happens for 24 hours, they tell me, se he as to be ready. It is rutting season, as they call it. 

   

 In the meantime, this juvenile thinks it'd like a quick drink, but momma isn't having any of that. She's been weaned! Carl soon enters the picture, too. He manages to take several bites out of the large pumpkin, and twists the pumpkin just as the footage ends. He saunters off into the forest. 

 

For the first time (I think, but I turn 65 next month, so I could be wrong), we've 3 Chad coyotes on the trailcam at once. The temperatures are below freezing, so they are getting hungrier out there. We've snow on the way, as well. They aren't like city coyotes, which can be bold as brass. We've seldom seen them in the daytime or in person in the ten years we have been here, they tend to avoid our back and front yards.


For more critters, visit Eileen's fabulous Saturday's Critters # 414!

19 comments:

Tom said...

...coming for some veggies.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I love the deer videos, they are so sweet. I would be worried about the 3 coyotes, I hope they have moved on. Awesome videos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

RedPat said...

It is probably a good thing that the coyotes are not around during the day.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Pumpkins...yum yum! And how amazing to see 3 of the coyotes at once on the trailcam. Stay warm this weekend!

Villrose said...

So, they are eating pumpkins as well. Cool coyote film!

Nancy J said...

Definitely cold, with those frigid afternoon temps!!! Have you seen any mice near the pumpkins? They like to store the seeds for winter snacks, years ago we had a huge crop, stored them in an outside shed ( stupid idea) and when I went to get one, found at least 10 had been hollowed out and all the seeds gone. The Trio, no wonder they too, are looking for food.

DeniseinVA said...

I think that’s why I enjoy blogging Jenn, photos and videos are a soothing change from what’s going on around us. That’s how I feel with your photos and videos. Love seeing them and those pumpkins are popular :)

Adam Jones said...

I love to see what appears on the camera traps. Fantastic.

Breathtaking said...

Hello Jenn,:=) Interesting footage of the deer and coyotes. Most creatures like pumpkin, nothing goes to waste on my farm. I eat loads in soup.
All the best.:=)

DUTA said...

You have to pay them. Now imagine they have to pay Me for charging too much. The fact is I'm to blame. I should be careful about taxes, and I am not.

Kay said...

What fun to see the deer enjoying the pumpkin. There's so much family drama too. We used to leave our pumpkins out in Chicago, but it was the squirrels and raccoons who would eat them.

William Kendall said...

Pumpkins must be an interesting treat to them.

Red said...

Your trail cam observations always give you something to learn.

Shiju Sugunan said...

Loved the videos!

DrumMajor said...

Thanks for sharing these critter adventures. I'd love to set out some cameras, but there's not much but squirrels in my yard. Your's are so amazing. Hope your cameras work in the winter! Linda in Kansas

Jeanie said...

I'm getting ready to take my pumkins to the back, crack them open and let the critters at 'em! I love seeing yours!

Anvilcloud said...

DO you use a tax program? I have used one for quite some time now. although I didn’t find it hard to do taxes, I would tend to slip up somewhere. It hasn’t happened since.

Jenn Jilks said...

I always use a tax program, AC. I just don't know how I messed it up and they didn't catch it.

NatureFootstep said...

beautiful videos of the deers as always.The deer seem to like the pumpkin :)