Friday 12 November 2021

A wee drive

 We knew the weather would turn and rain would be expected Thursday/Friday-ish. Joseph Brian suggested a drive while the sun shone, just to take our mind off things. He did a bit of mapping, and suggested we go to Chaffey's Lock. Off we went. It was eventful, in a fun way. The sun is so low on the horizon. It does make for lovely images, if you squint and think creatively. We headed along through Murphys Point Park, and did the backroads. We went the back way, through Narrows Lock, that is where the locks make navigation possible across the Big Rideau.

The dashcam takes some interesting images! 

It was a lovely drive, with the sun really low. I have to remember to wash the interior of the windows, though. They were pretty reflections, but sure didn't help the drive!

Why did the chickens stand on the road? I honked and they didn't budge. Rural living!


From there, we drove along Narrows Lock Road. It is hunting season, as many of you know, and I spotted three vehicles in a row with two drivers each, all wearing camouflage and orange vests and ball caps. Shortly after, you can see we spotted a buck on the road. I think he was laughing at them.


This is the dashcam video!



Finally, Chaffeys Lock. It is a pretty spot. 
  



There were very few cars about, truthfully, and I stopped the car for photos wherever I felt like it. I took us on to MacDonalds Island. Cottage season is done, and the winter residents are the only ones there.


There were some geese and ducks hanging around. Hardy little things, as it has been chilly.


The sun provides lots of options for photos. We couldn't stop, though as it is a one-lane road.

This is a cool little cottage. I bet it's cold in winter, though!

Home and safe!

14 comments:

Tom said...

...the chicken owns the road.

William Kendall said...

Chickens can be puzzling in their ways.

Bindu said...

Lovely photos! Love to view rural life. Chickens standing on the road! I don't want to think of what the hunters will get...

Karen said...

My neighbour has some pretty brave chickens. They've been known to chase logging trucks!
The sun is shining so we are going driving today.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Such a pretty drive - in the sunshine... YAM xx

Rain said...

Hi Jenn :) It's hunting season here too, so the weekenders are up en masse. I can't wait for November's end, then I'll have my quiet little corner again for the winter! Nice drive, and lovely photos!

RedPat said...

We have to take advantage of those warm sunny days when they come along. It was like that here this morning but is raining now.

DeniseinVA said...

I always enjoy a ride. The different scenery is a great relaxer, not talking about rush hour here , lol! I usually avoid the freeways but found myself driving in it the other day when my husband went for an eye appointment. I reminded myself of my mother with the white knuckle syndrome, Mine were white knuckles after dealing with six lanes of heavy traffic on each side ;) Enjoyed your ride and the buck crossing the road, yes, fooled them! Wonderful videos and feel so relaxed now :)

The Furry Gnome said...

I've been to Chaffey's Lock several times, for land trust meetings.

Anvilcloud said...

It is good to get that way although we didn't make it to Chaffey's this year and haven't been back to The Narrows for several years.

Kay said...

Oho! So you have a lot of chickens too! We have tons of them everywhere, but I haven’t seen them actually on the road yet.

Red said...

You take interesting drives.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice drive! Silly chickens!

Jeanie said...

What a lovely idea! It really is quite lovely in your part of the world!