Friday 25 January 2019

After the blizzard: rain

It's been a crazy week for weather. Beyond temperatures swings of -29˚ to C. We had a dump of rain, after the snow.
The turkeys have been lurking. They are so funny to watch. Once food is plentiful in summer – we will seldom see them.



In the backyard, the deer...  I counted 21, including Our big buck! who was mating with a doe in December. We hadn't seen him since. He's my header this month.



The yard was full.


If you are so inclined, this is a panorama of the yard. Much entertainment.


After 9 cm snow, we had 7.6 mm (3/10") rain on top of the snow. The 'Colorado Low' storm changed over from snow to rain, as it brought warmer temperatures. We decided to use the snowblower and clear the driveway and sidewalk. I spent a half hour chipping ice off of the sidewalk afterwards.  It's always a crap shoot. Shovel or not to shovel!

This was the sheer ice on the driveway. Hubby made it into town for his injection. This was good.


Daisy

We have found a woman to take my Daisy, on Saturday. I am relieved, sad, anxious, grieving, angry, betrayed, and tired. A basket case. All of that. I keep thinking of the forest pal she was, following me in the deep snow, in my snowshoe tracks. She is six years old. We'd go out on the frozen wetland.
Yet, she now attacks both her siblings. I've taken her off her sedative medications, I don't need to fight with her every day to shove a pill down her throat.
She is going to learn to be an indoor cat, in an apartment. In the meantime, her new owner is on vacay for two weeks, so back to the kennel she goes. Peace will reign here, again. Off her meds, she's been after both cats.

 Daisy and Dorah playing with the toilet paper roll in 2012. They were rescued with their momma and litter mates, and we took the last two left at the vet clinic in Carleton Place.

Hubby's gone into town to get me a Kitchen Sink for breakfast. What a guy. We don't keep eggs in the house, so this is a treat. It does me two breakfasts. Filled with veggies. Comfort food.
We had another 1.5 cm snow this morning.

Our buck from Jennifer Jilks on Vimeo.

12 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I hope she adapts to indoor life.

Christine said...

Glad Daisy has found a home. Wow the deer love your yard

Karen said...

It HAS been a tough winter hasn't it? Between the wicked weather and fighting cats and continuing anxiety over plumbing problems, we are living a parallel life here.

Yamini MacLean said...

Hari OM
Hmmmmmm. Acreage cat to flat cat... I wish that lady well, for there could be some literal wall climbing. However, as you say, the stress at Chez J will be much less and it is with that I am most concerned! Big Buck is most very handsome... though Young Buck looks like he fancies a joust! YAM xx

Cloudia said...

Wow! Stay Safe, Jenn!

Nancy J said...

Have you tried the " Yaktrax" or similar on top of your shoes for extra traction on the ice? Looks too slippery for me.

Red said...

I noticed one front kick in the video. the front kick can be a very devastating blow.

Lowcarb team member said...

Yes, your header photograph is magnificent.

All the best Jan

William Kendall said...

I'm sorry that you've had to take that direction with Daisy. It might be best to not add another cat to the dynamic for a good long while.

DUTA said...

The turkeys don't look very happy; it's probably because of the cold wheather.
As for Daisy, people change too, not only pets. Take away their meds and they become highly unruly. Hopefully, the new home will be what the cat needs.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Love this post! An echo of our view minus any deer. We don't know where they've gone but have only had one walk through and no turkeys at all. Amazing video of all of them gathering. We debated the same issues re snow clearing, salting, etc. during that weird weather week.
I am so happy you have found a solution to your Daisy problem. I didn't know cats didn't get along like that. I suppose their backgrounds make a difference.
Sun shining here but cold still.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! That’s so cold. My daughter is telling me it’s going to feel like -50 degrees F on Wednesday in Chicago. Brrrr... I’m always so amazed by the wildlife, especially the turkeys in your backyard.